NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well as promised to @cbruce41 Ill try to be a little more proactive about participation in this forum.
I was at Harkers "oiland" for about a week and did a lot of different fishing. Ill kind of list out what where and how by location...Started last Saturday of Sept with our annual Boy Scout trip for my sons old scout troop. Had a wonderful father son (never been on a boat) duo where dad was a retired Navy Helicopter pilot officer and he shook my hand and said that day was one of the best memories he ever had with his son and one he would remember for the rest of his life. Made me tear up lol.
Sept 25 Saturday: Bardens Inlet out to West SLough:
Spanish and Albies: trolled spoons with planers and 6 oz weights to meat fish for a few hours and put 9-10 2 lb + spanish in the boat. Fish were generally from 10 ft out to 40 ft of water but more were actively feeding in 32-38 ft .Got a little more proactive and decided to run and gun throwing SMALL sting silvers and casting jigs to Pods of fish. Fish were on extremely small glass minnows. After shore lunch with troop at the light house headed back towards the inlet and decided to do some "frying up fishing" Nice mess of sea mullets and croakers on fresh shrimp between coat guard docks and the sea buoy. More sea robins than we could count and of course the rare and endangered pinfish.

Sunday: got troop transported back to Harkers and did a little teaching with a couple of the scoutmaster wives on boat driving and what to do if husband keels over clutching heart. I teach some gun classes and always say the worst teachers are someone related to you ( like their husbands lol) so both ladies had a good day learning instead of getting yelled at. Not alot of fishing.
Monday: Slick flat calm wind 3-5 knots and beautiful and Solo I went to the R6 and tried to pull cigar minnows for kings. Sharks were very active and trying to troll safely solo, run 5 lines, wire and release or gaff fish is much more difficult in your mid 50s than when I was 25 lol. Caught one nice mid 30 king ( kings were there and plenty of bait pods) and released a Reef Donkey and gave up, just too much work doing solo cause of sharks. Ran to some live bottom around the Big 10 area and just offshore of that and caught some nice BSB and legal beeliners and grunts. Had a couple of 23 3/4 inch Gags in about 85 ft of water. Water was like Glass that day and I ran my little 1973 20 foot mako at 31 MPH @4000Rpm all the way to the hill.
Tuesday: Water was as snotty Tuesday as it was nice Monday 180 degree changes. Made a poor decision to run out a bit after lunch to catch some more BSB in about 65 ft of water and got beat up pretty good. One the way in at the inlet I Cast netted a 5 gallon bucket of Mullet to brine for dead baits this winter. Had a nasty fall off the front of my bow trying to get bait down to cooler.

Took Weds and Thursday as lay days to lick my wounds and do some chores at my buddies house where I was staying. Also went to Jarret Bay Boatworks and got to spend some time with RV Hodge looking over my mako and got some great recommendation on some refurb I want to do. GREAT guy!!!
My wife came down on THursday PM so Fridays weather was predicted to be fairly good.

Friday 10/1: Went to the east side towards Atlas 1700 rocks and stopped short in about 65-70 feet of water on some live bottom and crapton of bait. In about 2.5 hours caught a limit of kings (6) slow trolling cigars and big finger mullet (6-8 inches) I cast netted and Brined Tuesday at the shoals at Bardens and the green flash mylar skirts from Bluewater candy were the ticket! Pink was the second place. No hits on blue or naked.
Went on offshore and loaded up on 16-20 inch NICE beeliners and big sea bass in 85-100 ft of water from 1700 offshore. squid and brined finger mullet. Beeliners were in classes of fish if you caught on big one they all were that size and you just had to weed through the Grunts and pigfish. We moved several times and released alot of legal but smaller Bs but eventually got 11 large Bs and some nice BSB. They didnt care for the cigar minnows for some reason.
Weather was not as good as predicted and the first time my wife had been offshore in 25 years she was sore and tired by mid after noon. I Caught one legal gag on the " I just want to drop one time on this last place" 3 Xs and the wife was tired so we headed in about 3 or so. Made some sashimi snapper and King ceviche for dinner.

Saturday: Wife was really sore and wanted a "relax day". Took her to Middle marsh and up North river to cruise around and explore some. Nice day with my wife and Dog on the boat. Caught some endangered flounder and some puppy drum. Kept one slot fish to broil Sat PM with lemon butter and caramelized onion. Went to Harker drawbridge to try for some Convict fish on jigs and fresh shrimp at slack tide and a alot of pinfish, croakers and pigfish later I gave it up. I really need to learn some real tricks from @steven.brewster to step up my sheepshead game. Could not find any Trout...

Sunday: Wife had to leave to come back home and weather was predicted to be good again so back to the East side I went solo. Caught my one keeper Gag in 102 ft of water and some gray triggers in 180 Ft and few more BSB and smaller Bees released. Found nice pod of Sargasso weed trying to form into a line and cruised it ( no baits in water too broken up to clear lines solo) for a 1/2 mile then Eureka! A school of Mahi maybe 20 fish in the 8-15 lb ranges. I played with them with my inshore stuff Z man trout tricks 10 lb test and top water baits. I managed to put three in the box and shook off or released several and pulled the tiny trebles on a few. Had fun for an hour or so before they got wise and moved out. Played with some Albies just East of shoals on light line then Ran back in to get cleaned up prepare to come home Monday.
If you read this far you have a boring life or a lot of patience! If you have any questions about baits or whatever Ill do my best to answer. Tight lines!

·
Registered
221 Posts
Well as promised to @cbruce41 Ill try to be a little more proactive about participation in this forum.
I was at Harkers "oiland" for about a week and did a lot of different fishing. Ill kind of list out what where and how by location...Started last Saturday of Sept with our annual Boy Scout trip for my sons old scout troop. Had a wonderful father son (never been on a boat) duo where dad was a retired Navy Helicopter pilot officer and he shook my hand and said that day was one of the best memories he ever had with his son and one he would remember for the rest of his life. Made me tear up lol.
Spanish and Albies: trolled spoons with planers and 6 oz weights to meat fish for a few hours and put 9-10 2 lb + spanish in the boat. Fish were generally from 10 ft out to 40 ft of water but more were actively feeding in 32-38 ft .Got a little more proactive and decided to run and gun throwing SMALL sting silvers and casting jigs to Pods of fish. Fish were on extremely small glass minnows. After shore lunch with troop at the light house headed back towards the inlet and decided to do some "frying up fishing" Nice mess of sea mullets and croakers on fresh shrimp between coat guard docks and the sea buoy. More sea robins than we could count and of course the rare and endangered pinfish.

Sunday: got troop transported back to Harkers and did a little teaching with a couple of the scoutmaster wives on boat driving and what to do if husband keels over clutching heart. I teach some gun classes and always say the worst teachers are someone related to you ( like their husbands lol) so both ladies had a good day learning instead of getting yelled at. Not alot of fishing.
Monday: Slick flat calm wind 3-5 knots and beautiful and Solo I went to the R6 and tried to pull cigar minnows for kings. Sharks were very active and trying to troll safely solo, run 5 lines, wire and release or gaff fish is much more difficult in your mid 50s than when I was 25 lol. Caught one nice mid 30 king ( kings were there and plenty of bait pods) and released a Reef Donkey and gave up, just too much work doing solo cause of sharks. Ran to some live bottom around the Big 10 area and just offshore of that and caught some nice BSB and legal beeliners and grunts. Had a couple of 23 3/4 inch Gags in about 85 ft of water. Water was like Glass that day and I ran my little 1973 20 foot mako at 31 MPH @4000Rpm all the way to the hill.
Tuesday: Water was as snotty Tuesday as it was nice Monday 180 degree changes. Made a poor decision to run out a bit after lunch to catch some more BSB in about 65 ft of water and got beat up pretty good. One the way in at the inlet I Cast netted a 5 gallon bucket of Mullet to brine for dead baits this winter. Had a nasty fall off the front of my bow trying to get bait down to cooler.

Took Weds and Thursday as lay days to lick my wounds and do some chores at my buddies house where I was staying. Also went to Jarret Bay Boatworks and got to spend some time with RV Hodge looking over my mako and got some great recommendation on some refurb I want to do. GREAT guy!!!
My wife came down on THursday PM so Fridays weather was predicted to be fairly good.

Friday 10/1: Went to the east side towards Atlas 1700 rocks and stopped short in about 65-70 feet of water on some live bottom and crapton of bait. In about 2.5 hours caught a limit of kings (6) slow trolling cigars and big finger mullet (6-8 inches) I cast netted and Brined Tuesday at the shoals at Bardens and the green flash mylar skirts from Bluewater candy were the ticket! Pink was the second place. No hits on blue or naked.
Went on offshore and loaded up on 16-20 inch NICE beeliners and big sea bass in 85-100 ft of water from 1700 offshore. squid and brined finger mullet. Beeliners were in classes of fish if you caught on big one they all were that size and you just had to weed through the Grunts and pigfish. We moved several times and released alot of legal but smaller Bs but eventually got 11 large Bs and some nice BSB. They didnt care for the cigar minnows for some reason.
Weather was not as good as predicted and the first time my wife had been offshore in 25 years she was sore and tired by mid after noon. I Caught one legal gag on the " I just want to drop one time on this last place" 3 Xs and the wife was tired so we headed in about 3 or so. Made some sashimi snapper and King ceviche for dinner.

Saturday: Wife was really sore and wanted a "relax day". Took her to Middle marsh and up North river to cruise around and explore some. Nice day with my wife and Dog on the boat. Caught some endangered flounder and some puppy drum. Kept one slot fish to broil Sat PM with lemon butter and caramelized onion. Went to Harker drawbridge to try for some Convict fish on jigs and fresh shrimp at slack tide and a alot of pinfish, croakers and pigfish later I gave it up. I really need to learn some real tricks from @steven.brewster to step up my sheepshead game. Could not find any Trout...

Sunday: Wife had to leave to come back home and weather was predicted to be good again so back to the East side I went solo. Caught my one keeper Gag in 102 ft of water and some gray triggers in 180 Ft and few more BSB and smaller Bees released. Found nice pod of Sargasso weed trying to form into a line and cruised it ( no baits in water too broken up to clear lines solo) for a 1/2 mile then Eureka! A school of Mahi maybe 20 fish in the 8-15 lb ranges. I played with them with my inshore stuff Z man trout tricks 10 lb test and top water baits. I managed to put three in the box and shook off or released several and pulled the tiny trebles on a few. Had fun for an hour or so before they got wise and moved out. Played with some Albies just East of shoals on light line then Ran back in to get cleaned up prepare to come home Monday.
If you read this far you have a boring life or a lot of patience! If you have any questions about baits or whatever Ill do my best to answer. Tight lines!
Sounds like some fun times on the water. Nice report

·
Registered
69 Posts
Nice report Bag12Day! You're making me envious and impatient (where is that danged antenna??).

I'm game and ready to go....just talked with one of my crew and he's out of PTO but available on the weekends. If we're running outriggers I can't manage those solo, too old for that kind of effort. I'll check with my other guys and see who's available for a week day trip and get back to you. If my regular crew isn't available, I may have to see who I can scare up on here to help defray expenses.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Great report—thanx for taking the time to write it up.

Reactions: bag12day

·
Registered
70 Posts

Nice report, thanks for taking the time to share with others

1 - 5 of 5 Posts