NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
28 Dec 07 - I had the chance to fish with FLW Pro Jeffrey Thomas at Harris Lake and the weather started off chilly...We took of at 0730ish and he gave me a tour of the lake...All I wanted to do was throw swimbaits and see what the lake had to offer...The first problem we ran into was the amount of duck hunters everywhere...We got a couple of warning shots from some of them but I was laughing the whole time...We headed under some bridge and it was like WWII...guns just a blazing...and I never saw a duck hit the water...

The water is about 4ft or so low...and very little structure...But Jeffrey was able to stick 8 - 9 fish in the boat on crankbaits and 2 more that were over the slot limit...3 to 4lbs...As for me, I need more of a weedless swimbait...but I did get 2 followers, about 2-3lbs, and i did learn alot about the lake...I think a weedless swimbaits 6 - 10" in length would crush this lake starting in late March and all summer long...I will be back...I did get alot of video and hope to have it up soon...

We got off the water at 3ish...The fish were scattered but tight to the grass...

Don't fish harris on tuesdays, fridays, or saturdays until the end of jan...the duck hunters are thick...

See you on the water...
D.

·
Registered
3,834 Posts
You headed under New Hill Holleman Road Bridge. The area east of that bridge seems to be one of the only areas that really attracts ducks. Shearon Harris defimnitely gets real crowded with duck hunters. I have known a guy who would put 120 decoys or more and sleep on his boat so, no one could get his spot. The waterfowl season will be over on Jan. 26th. Since, there is no hunting on Sundays in NC most of these guys will only get 3 or 4 days to hunt all year and they don't want anyone messing it up.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
3-4 days?? lol... i have been out 30 times so far this year..i have a long list of ducks taken.why ya think i fish on sundays for??

zooker

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.