NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My current assignment ended today at noon. What a great reason to go to the lake and do some fishing.

I put in by the dam for the first time. I have never been in that part of the lake. But I had more time so I thought I would check it out.

Plenty of bait balls. Carp were rolling. Sun was HOT. Breeze was nice and manageable.

I nailed a nice 1.8lb LMB and later on a couple of Crappie. One of those was 1.3lb. I can't say I ever caught one that big before. Go

Going Saturday morning. Gotta love it.

mikeski

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It was a fine morning at Harris lake. When I arrived there were a pile-o-boats. Seems it was the final for a fishing group. They did their blastoff and then Optimystic and I blasted off in our yacks.

Lots-o-white perch were hitting the surface. We managed to catch a bunch. None were of the biggest. But fun was had. More cruising resulted in some more fish. Once the sun was up good the fish slowed down.

No bass though. And I was not seeing the tournament guys bringing any in either. When the sun was out it was hot. Luckily there were a couple of clouds now and then.

Can't wait to get back out there.

mikeski

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yup, the dam.

I went out today from Hollemans.

The wind was on and off. It was off enough to catch a 1.5'r on a frog pattern Rapala skitter pop. And the little white perch liked to pop at it too.

I caught a number of white perch. Maybe 4 keepers. And another 16" cat fish. The third I have caught that size. All these were on an ultralight rattle-trap.

No hits on a couple divers or rattle traps. Grubs either.

mikeski

·
Registered
3,624 Posts
The UL lipless crank has been the go to for me even though I am usually Mr Twisty Tail Grub. The grub has been getting a higher strike/catch ratio of mostly larger fish, but the lipless crank gets way more strikes. Can be frustrating as there were times I would get multiple strikes on a few casts in a row with no hook up. I think it is mostly due to size though. When I got in a school of not so tiny perch a couple of weeks back I was hooking them on almost every cast.

·
Registered
3,624 Posts
I caught a number of white perch. Maybe 4 keepers.
Should probably start another thread on this...

I am re-evaluating what size to keep. That last trip out, I kept a couple that were a little on the small side thinking I might cook them "tail on" style but decided to try filleting. I didn't get much out of them, but three easy cuts that take seconds gets the back meat on each side (3 cuts per side, to be clear). It is somewhat wasteful, but seeing as how they are not very welcome there I am going to lower my standards...

·
Registered
3,624 Posts
Confession time - there is a reason I keep referring to the lures I use somewhat generically...

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Creme-Lure-5-Piece-Pond-Favorite-Small-Lipless-Crank/35486413

The perch show preference for the blue sided ones, but the craw color has produced also. The 5 pack only costs a little more than one Rattle Trap of the same size...

They do hook the larger ones quite will and draw my blood easily, so the hooks are okay.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.