NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i was out fishing the Eno around Pennies Bend the other weekend. I was out by the flat river tie in. I was throwing a small mighty bite soft plastic lure along a log when i noticed a 2-3 foot long snake next to the log. I couldnt see the head, just the tail. But decided to continue with my slow retrieve. when my lure got in front of the snake it sturck the lure hard and tried to take off swimming. i realed it in and just has i got on shore in unhinged its jaw and managed to pop out the lure. Upon closer inspection i noticed it was a water moccison. has anyone else had this occurance? I thought it was pretty crazy myself!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, as i was realing it in i was thinking to myself, now how the **** am i gonna get this snake off without getting bit. I was so **** glad that he unhooked himeslf and i didnt have to get hands on with him. ive handled lots of venemous snakes before, mostly rattlesnakes back home in az and i know how sketchy it is. really didnt want to get my hand that close to it's mouth!

·
Registered
68 Posts
What type of snake was it? Unless I am mistaken there is not a snake in NC that is named a water moccasin. A lot of people around here call water snakes moccasins and believe they are all poisonous. Redbelly and several other water snakes are not poisonous. On the other hand cottonmouths, copperheads and sometimes rattle snakes can be found on water.

·
Registered
6,041 Posts
Caught a snake (non-poisonous) twice. Once on Lake Norman, once on Lake Tillery.

Each one cost me a lure. I cut the line at least 10 feet from the snake. Sorry, even while they are not poisonous, they do bite. And a $4 lure isn't worth being bitten by a snake.

Do I feel a little bad that I didn't unhook them? Yep. But I feel better that I didn't get bit.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Caught a snake (non-poisonous) twice. Once on Lake Norman, once on Lake Tillery.

Each one cost me a lure. I cut the line at least 10 feet from the snake. Sorry, even while they are not poisonous, they do bite. And a $4 lure isn't worth being bitten by a snake.

Do I feel a little bad that I didn't unhook them? Yep. But I feel better that I didn't get bit.
Biglenr, I was about to do the same thing and just cut the line as well!, I was reaching for my knife as he managed to pop the lure out! boy was i glad he did! i really didnt want any part of getting close to that snake!

·
Registered
360 Posts
I think what the website means is that people often confuse water snakes for water moccasins, northern water snakes in particular. It makes sense to catch a moccasin though because they do feed on fish.
Water moccasins are not known from Eno River SP. They list 20 other species of snake. It was probably a northern water snake. Many people confuse them with moccasins.
http://www.ncparks.gov/Visit/parks/enri/ecology.php

·
Registered
279 Posts
Water moccasins are not known from Eno River SP. They list 20 other species of snake. It was probably a northern water snake. Many people confuse them with moccasins.
http://www.ncparks.gov/Visit/parks/enri/ecology.php
Water moccasin's are found in the eastern swamps mostly east of the fall line in NC. (coastal plain) Mostly likely a common water snake.. The only time i've seen a Cottonmouth was in a very remote area of Merchants Mill pond SP called Lasiter swamp. They are not commonly seen by people..

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
Water moccasin's are found in the eastern swamps mostly east of the fall line in NC. (coastal plain) Mostly likely a common water snake.. The only time i've seen a Cottonmouth was in a very remote area of Merchants Mill pond SP called Lasiter swamp. They are not commonly seen by people..
Growing up in a swamp below the fall line, I have seen more then I can count. They are very common in my area. You can usually tell a moccasin because its short and fat. The only similarly colored snake that is like that is the northern water snake but its eyes are forward on its head so if you've seen both you can see a difference. Merchants mill pond is an amazing place btw.

·
Registered
4,537 Posts
The cottonmouth, Agkistrodon Piscivorus, is often called "water moccasin."
Its close relative, the copperhead, Agkistrodon Contortrix, is called "highland moccasin" by old timers.
Both species are pit vipers, and both species' young have yellow or orange tipped tails.
Cottonmouths are much more venomous than copperheads.
On rattlesnakes, the other pit vipers, all three species found here in NC are protected by laws.
The eastern diamondback is listed as Critically Endangered, the pygmy and the timber rattler are listed as Special Concern.

·
Registered
301 Posts
One way to tell when they're swimming is a water snake (non venomous) sits low in the water when swimming. A cottonmouth will sort of float, with half its body out of the water while swimming. Also they tend to be very dark almost black in appearance with a very wide head.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I just recently moved out here but im pretty sure this snake was venemous, it had the more diamond or spear point head. and it was sitting pretty high in the water as well.. id say at least 1/2 to 1/3 of his entire "upper" body was out of the water. That is specifically what caught my attention. I thought it was a floating stick at first and than noticed how smooth it was and knew it was a snake at that point. I never thought it would hit my lure though. and has it popped its jaw i saw it's fangs as well. i may be misjudging the species, but im 99% positive that it was venemous

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.