NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
5,560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Surely I`m not the only one who participates in the yearly opening day Trout circus.?I know alot of people shun opening day for the crowds and you might have to get there EARLY for a good spot. That`s part of the fun for us. Will be spending the night at Sugar Mtn. resort and heading to the North Toe to fish. Haven`t checked the stocking numbers yet. Wonder if they`re changing anything because of the drought? Wouldn`t matter anyway.For us going both opening days is as sure as death and taxes. Always bring home a bucket from the gem mine for me and my boys to hunt through. Looking forward to the trip and making my rosemary trout recipe. Anybody got any thoughts on it ?
See ya at the Great Trout Out 2008.:) --------------stu

·
Registered
444 Posts
As much as I love to trout fish opening day is one I usually try to miss. Have went a couple times but got tired of dodging hook and hackle. Ill personally wait a couple weeks and then give it a go when the "circus" has left town.:D

·
Registered
15,708 Posts
10-4 have only made one ventue for trout fishing on opening day and that was in Washington State. Man what a crowd that turned out for this event.

And to think I left a 500 acre lake to go to this other place to catch a trout. The lake at the house was full of em in the 1-2 pound range and all Rainbows or Dolly Varden.

tight lines <*)))))>{

·
Registered
5,560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Well I understand what you guys are getting at. Like I said alot of people want no part of opening day. I think it`s just the yin & yang aspect of it all. I see the lure of hiking way out by yourself and wading in to fly fish for some natural trout and releasing them. For some reason I also am drawn to the opposite. After all my group is all kayakers, this is a chance to stay on land,keep some fish,and get in and rub elbows with the "you 'uns". All things very far from what we normally do every week. We don`t call the mountain folk you' uns out of disrespect. It`s actually just the opposite. When you live in Charlotte it`s nice to get away from all these city folk. I think I`d fit in better up there. We say that because it`s not uncommon for somebody to say "you 'uns havin any luck?"
We`ll see if we have any luck. One guy with us caught a 4lb brown last year. He`s definitely ready to go back this year. That fish is probably a brood fish and maybe 1% of the stocking. Thanks for the replies.
Yes it did snow almost 4 in. last year even though they called for flurries. That kept a few more people at home.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Since everybody talks about the crowds I knew I could find at least one other crazy person who makes up the crowds! Thanks for the reply finstalker! And good luck Saturday.:)

·
Registered
135 Posts
No trout circus for me either. I avoid that craziness and those HS trout streams like the plague!

What really chaps my behind is when the meat fishermen on the HS trout streams sort of "ease" into an adjacent DH section of the same stream (where the catch and release sport fisherman are located), and then claim they didn't know the difference or didn't see the posted black and white DH signs. A couple of years ago I was fishing a DH section of the Pigeon River in April and came across a group of three grown men and a pre-teen boy who had just illegally filled their cooler with trout after they cleaned out a nice hole that had been well stocked. I confronted them and they claimed ignorance of the regulated posting of the stream and then left. The really sad thing about it was that by their actions they were teaching this young boy to break the law. No doubt that when he grows up, this kid will be a poacher just like his daddy and uncles.

I hope this response generates a lot of discussion, because it is needed.

·
Registered
5,560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That is a sad story. I have no problem with calling in on anybody breaking any game law. We get checked almost every year. Opening day would not be a good choice to do anything illegal.
I fish all year long for bass mainly and never keep one. We always go to the mountains twice a year and keep a limit. We do not cull. We`ll take whatever we get. Does that make me a"meat fisherman"? Those fish are paid for by fisherman to be caught. Within the regulations I do not see any wrong with catching those fish. I don`t really like to see a bucket full of bass taken out of the river but it is not my place to be down on someone else if they do. If I see somebody breaking the rules I`m gonna do what I can to get them caught. And like you, am not gonna ignore it and not say anything.
If you don`t keep any I hope you don`t hold it against the legal fisherman who are participating in a program designed to give people a chance to harvest hatchery fish. We are sportsmen too.----stu

·
Registered
196 Posts
Man How could anyone use a fly rod with all those people......Ed You may need to refrence the post someware here about how to remove a hook OUCH..........Ed

·
Registered
4,288 Posts
The stream I fish opening day has very few people fishing it.

Maybe because the NCWRC claims to stock 1000 fish but in reality you only see 100 max??

It's near my house so I can't complain but please stock some trout!

Now if you fish the Davidson River you do find they actually stock some trout but it's a circus down there. Used to go there on opening day some. Haven't been there in several years and won't go back on opening day

Even if I only catch chubs and stonerollers, I'll go anywhere else.

Good luck this year.

·
Registered
5,560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If you think of trout fishing as a guy wearing $800 worth of waders and equipment wading up a stream, casting flys without barbs and releasing the fish you`ve got one end of the trout fishing spectrum. Now if you go as far away from that image as you can within trout fishing and you`ve got opening day.

It`s about spinning rods and bait. Hooks with barbs. Catching fish that your tackle taxes have paid to raise and stock fish to put in the pan. If nobody fished them most all would die by the dog days of summer anyway. This is not a natural situation, it is created thru stocking. Rainbows make up 40% of the fish. They are not even native to N.C.

If any fly rods are employed it won`t be in the popular spots. Wading and flyfishing on opening day would probably lead to some hooks needing to be removed.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Right on there stu. Fly fishing on opening day on a river like the Davidson or French Broad would be an exercise in futility and could possibly end up in a fist fight. Some of the lesser streams would probably be ok for us "whip" fishermen but by far for the most part it is spinners and bait.

And there is nothing wrong with keeping a limit of trout for the pan its like you said thats what they are raised and put there for. I release most of the trout that I catch but will always try and keep a few for the table.

Good luck to all you go and let us know how you did.

·
Registered
5,560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
While we`re on trout fishing. The mention of other fish by Gambusia. Are the little fish with the horns just some "chub". We call them "hornyheads" and someone in the group is always winner of the accidental Hornyhead tournament. Don`t think we`ve ever been and not caught a few. They are as competent a bait stealer as I have ever encounterd. Sad thing is if they were the only fish to be caught I`d still go.:)

·
Registered
135 Posts
I've got nothing against those who fish the HS streams and harvest their daily limit. I too fish these streams at certain times (not opening day) and occasionally keep a trout or two where it's legal. But I prefer the concept of DH streams because even those have a harvest period. NCWRC should have way more DH streams, or longer sections on the existing DH streams than they currently do. Poaching is a serious problem on many streams, and the DH streams seem to get hit very hard.

·
Registered
4,288 Posts
While we`re on trout fishing. The mention of other fish by Gambusia. Are the little fish with the horns just some "chub". We call them "hornyheads" and someone in the group is always winner of the accidental Hornyhead tournament. Don`t think we`ve ever been and not caught a few. They are as competent a bait stealer as I have ever encounterd. Sad thing is if they were the only fish to be caught I`d still go.:)
If you think of trout fishing as a guy wearing $800 worth of waders and equipment wading up a stream, casting flys without barbs and releasing the fish you`ve got one end of the trout fishing spectrum. Now if you go as far away from that image as you can within trout fishing and you`ve got opening day.

It`s about spinning rods and bait. Hooks with barbs. Catching fish that your tackle taxes have paid to raise and stock fish to put in the pan. If nobody fished them most all would die by the dog days of summer anyway. This is not a natural situation, it is created thru stocking. Rainbows make up 40% of the fish. They are not even native to N.C.

If any fly rods are employed it won`t be in the popular spots. Wading and flyfishing on opening day would probably lead to some hooks needing to be removed.
Not where I fish but on certain other streams, sure.

Some trout streams contain enough good habitat that the trout survive through summer. Many streams are stocked during the summer.

·
Registered
5,560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Getting close! According to ncwrc drought has not affected number of trout stocked this year. Even though over 100,000 brown and rainbow at the Mc Dowell hatchery died this year due to elevated water temperatures and lack of rain. Fish on !

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Flyakker, I've also seen poaching on the HS waters. Since the state has to stock in advance of opening day, some people take advantage and fish a few days early. I too have confronted these jerks, and was told to MYOB, and not in a friendly tone. I fear what would have happened had I been in a more secluded area.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.