NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Yup, closed. They will stock and the fish are left to themselves till opening day. I believe they stock in March and then April again. Usually before the opening of Hatchery supported waters. They have to make it easy for the corn fishermen to get their limits. Not to say that some will not get their limit a few times before it opens.

mikeski

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Over the years we have gone to the mountains that week prior to HS water opening to fish DH water. Then we may or may not go to HS water on opening day. If the DH water is fishing good. I can get fish anytime. And fishing with corn does not make my day. It will catch the stockies on opening day though. And there are so many people waiting for HS to open they don't go to the DS water. So not many elbows to fish around.

mikeski

·
Registered
69 Posts
Over the years we have gone to the mountains that week prior to HS water opening to fish DH water. Then we may or may not go to HS water on opening day. If the DH water is fishing good. I can get fish anytime. And fishing with corn does not make my day. It will catch the stockies on opening day though. And there are so many people waiting for HS to open they don't go to the DS water. So not many elbows to fish around.

mikeski
Yea, I know what you mean. My point was that they are stocking DH waters the first of next week. There'll be a quite a few people on the popular DH streams next weekend. Probably quite a few on my favorite stream in Ashe County.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Loosing track of time. Did not realize Sunday was the first. That should be interesting for the HS water. The fish will have a good bit of the week to soak before opening after they are stocked again the beginning of April.

And good timing for DH water as there will be two batches of stockies in there before HS opening to fish on. Wish I had time this year.

mikeski

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
They close Hatchery supported water for some months in the fall winter and reopen in April. I believe you can fish delayed harvest waters through the year. Just need to follow the requirements like single hook and no live bait I believe. It's all in the regs.

mike

·
Registered
231 Posts
you can fish HS waters without concern from the first Saturday in April until the end of February. In March, they are throwing fish in the water and they would prefer you stay out. If you fish in March you can't keep any. I just avoid the HS streams in March. Go Fish.

·
Registered
284 Posts
To clarify you cannot fish the HS streams when they are closed March 1st through first Saturday in April.

March 1, 2016 – April 1, 2016**No fishing allowed ** ** **-All Hatchery Supported Trout Waters not listed below

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.