NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We just returned from a fabulous week of surfcasting the OBX. Here's how we did. Fished Frisco Peir Sunday for a couple of reasons. Caught alot of small fish. Good variety. Among those were sugar trout... a species I have never seen in NC but mostly in Florida. At the end of the day, we captured a nice puppy drum 23". Monday and Tues we fished the point. Awesome beauty combined with good bluefish action...one awesome blitz. My wife had never experienced anything like that. These blues were exceptionally tasty and mild.
Wed we fished Hatteras inlet. Get up early if you want a good spot. In 15 minutes we had a 25" pup and a big bluefish. We were elated. Thurs and Friday, more blues. We also saw flounder at Hatteras inlet and Black drum, and a few trout in the sloughs. The fishing was basically good to very good. Gotta go to an outdoor meeting in the snow that is falling as I write here in Banner Elk, NC. :eek: I wanna go back to the banx! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
carpenter--- It's always great to hear of our neighbors from the mountains loading up with saltwater fish on the coast. It will spoil you ! Way to go ! You're watching snow, I'm watching huge swells generated by recent storm break above Core Banks. Is this a great state or what?:)

Regards, Forrest

PS--- I have some oysters stashed out here in the sound. Kinda chilly down here today-- just right for a big oyster stew.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Forrest,

I stopped to look for Oysters to bring home. They told they had some from Louisianna and I said a big NO THANKS! We had to settle for softshell crabs for a buck each. They were great. I really need a good oyster connection that ships to us Hilbillies. They taste with so good on cracker spread with genuine road-weary potted possum. You should get some to go with your stew and crackers. If I could bring you some I would. Who ships the good oysters?
Andy

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
I'd just as soon eat a mad cow as a Louisanna oyster theese days!!!! Sure glad to hear you hit the banks at the right time. I wish I could finish the year out surf fishing there. I had planned to spend a week at Topsail Island on either side of the full moon but I changed jobs and the rest of the year looks like six tens every week. I can't say I didn't need the $ but it don't help the near term fishing. GO back and catch a cow striper or two out of them suds if youi can't make it back sooner. And keep them good reports coming. AL

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You know if the weather is good at Thanksgiving I may just come down to soak a few big poppers. I've never caught a striper in the surf. I'd have to sell my wife on the idea but she likes to fish and loves adventure. We'll probably seek the inland striper of Lake Norman though. I don't have much time to spare either.

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
You need to be there at the right time and in the right place to catch them in the surf. Nothing reliable about surf fishing the OBX for stripers that I know of except that the Thanksgiving weekend fishing is a little crowded. Still it beats stuffing a dead turkey. Just tell her she will get out of cooking thanksgiving dinner. I couldn't think of any better thing to do on turkey day than fishing the banks. AL

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
sinker man said:
I had planned to spend a week at Topsail Island on either side of the full moon but I changed jobs and the rest of the year looks like six tens every week. AL

Al---In the early sixties, a textile operation built a huge plant in Bertie County and I landed it for a customer. After about three months of operation, I went there on a rountine service call. I found the parking lot almost completely empty. My first question was, if the plant was shutting down or on short time. The plant manager informed me that it was niether. Almost all of the employees were former farmers and fishermen and had merely laid out of work as there was a shad run in the river. Being in water treatment sales and service, I in turned phoned my home office. I informed them that Beaunit Corp was having problems caused by the river and I needed to stay another day. Now, I am not suggesting anything, but sometimes a fisherman gotta do what fishermen gotta do! :D

Regards, Forrest

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.