NC Angler Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just came across a review of the new Hobie Mirage Pro Angler 17T. This latest addition to Hobie's lineup weighs in at 230 lbs. This thing will have to be launched from a trailer as I can't see two grown men who could lug this behemoth very far. I did some checking and found you can buy a 12' aluminum Johnboat weighing less than 90 lbs. for around $600 and up to a 15' Johnboat which will weigh close to the hobie's weight for far less. Of course fully rigged they will weigh more but we will be carrying and launching it from a trailer. The Hobie is 17' long but a 12' Johnboat has far more room and I'd be willing to bet displaces less water. If I want to take my kid or another person along I think we'd be far more comfortable in the Johnboat and with 360 degree swivel seats. The only upside to the Hobie I can see is being able to fish Kayak tournaments. I haven't checked the price but I'm relatively sure you can rig a nice Johnboat for fishing for far less than the Hobie's price. Maybe it's me but when the weight of your kayak exceeds 200 lbs I think we're kinda getting away from one of the main reasons we were attracted to kayak fishing. Just my two cents.

http://www.hobiefishing.com/mirage/mirage-pro-angler-17/

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Look at a Jackson Big Rig....It's basically A 1600 boat.I love it.

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
I just came across a review of the new Hobie Mirage Pro Angler 17T. This latest addition to Hobie's lineup weighs in at 230 lbs. This thing will have to be launched from a trailer as I can't see two grown men who could lug this behemoth very far. I did some checking and found you can buy a 12' aluminum Johnboat weighing less than 90 lbs. for around $600 and up to a 15' Johnboat which will weigh close to the hobie's weight for far less. Of course fully rigged they will weigh more but we will be carrying and launching it from a trailer. The Hobie is 17' long but a 12' Johnboat has far more room and I'd be willing to bet displaces less water. If I want to take my kid or another person along I think we'd be far more comfortable in the Johnboat and with 360 degree swivel seats. The only upside to the Hobie I can see is being able to fish Kayak tournaments. I haven't checked the price but I'm relatively sure you can rig a nice Johnboat for fishing for far less than the Hobie's price. Maybe it's me but when the weight of your kayak exceeds 200 lbs I think we're kinda getting away from one of the main reasons we were attracted to kayak fishing. Just my two cents.

http://www.hobiefishing.com/mirage/mirage-pro-angler-17/

I look at value. For that kind of money, I could fish more comfortably and work less. When you start looking at what 5,000 in the used market can get you....economically, a 17T is a disaster.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
A quote from Ken Morrow , an avid outdoorsman from Texas with a global reputation as a fishing enthusiast , paddle sports instructor, guide, and outdoor writer.

"Kudos to Hobie, they don’t advertise them as kayaks. They call them boats."

·
Registered
3,026 Posts
I agree on a lot of comments made. Self bailing is a huge advantage to a Hobie over a Jon boat . Head through the surf and back the boat not so great the hobie has a better chance. To each is own . I wouldn't buy one but I do have more money in kayaks than some have in boats .. and unfortunately I have a bass boat that will ruin because I enjoy teaching kayaks so much more

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
That will ruin...hadn't heard that in a while u must be from here:)

·
Registered
4,217 Posts
http://www.austinkayak.com/products...o-Angler-17T-Tandem-Kayak-2015-Pre-Order.html

$5,299.00 + $319 from AK, guaranteed price match .......... $5618 and you will almost certainly have to buy a trailer

http://raleigh.craigslist.org/boa/4590243060.html

http://raleigh.craigslist.org/boa/4512259085.html

http://raleigh.craigslist.org/boa/4547227275.html

http://norfolk.craigslist.org/boa/4545992770.html

To each his own, but you can get a lot more boat for that kind of $$ (and even a truck to pull it with!) http://raleigh.craigslist.org/boa/4553833028.html

Self bailing is a huge advantage to a Hobie over a Jon boat . Head through the surf and back the boat not so great the hobie has a better chance.
LOL! Gary I'd love to see someone poke that thing thru the breakers! Even more fun would be watching them come back in!

·
Registered
3,026 Posts
Very true but if they did . It would drain . I fish the AR off of yaupon both of them in a 14 ft single wide jon boat . Sun came up and brought bigger waves. I was terrified I would not make it in . Had to beach the boat and drag it over the dunes . Basically there is a purpose for the craft. Not that every boat is for everyone but I am sure hobie did market assessment.

·
Registered
4,217 Posts
You right man ... I'd much rather be out there in the Pro 17 than a 14ft jon. Just the thought of 2 guys trying to paddle that beast thru the surf struck me as funny (paddle because I can't imagine the pedals would work in the sand).

Reactions: RouseD

·
Registered
3,624 Posts
On some videos I have seen of guys surf launching, one guy does get aboard and puts his pedals in while the other steadies the boat then climbs in and paddles while the first guy pedals for all he's worth. They are pricey and I won't be buying one, but I get why some choose to.

·
Registered
198 Posts
For me that weight and size starts to restrict launch pionts and limit the overall fishing area. I really enjoyed the option of pulling up to the shoreline and dragging the kayak 75ft to the water. Some of my best spots were area's where I had to park and drag or carry the kayak throught some weeds or brush or other terrain. I guess if you had two people to carry the kayak it may make it a bit easier. I have to agree with the jon boat theory. For that price, you could swing a small used skiff or jon boat w/motor and expand your options. Not to mention the add ons that come with the kayak purchase. Trailer, Rod holders, GPS, Electronics etc......

·
Registered
3,013 Posts
Yeah it costs a lot and for about 6 grand you could buy two pro angler 14s. It's a speciality boat so ofcourse it's not going to be the best for every situation.

·
Registered
3,409 Posts
What is a Kayak?....I see them mentioned some and see yak mentioned....I know a yak is some kind of animal but what is a Kayak??? is that a full grown Yak?

·
Registered
3,624 Posts
Mac,

The funny thing is what has happened with that particular piece of terminology. The boat that started this discussion is an open boat.

·
Registered
3,624 Posts
The term kayak has been raped and pillaged no doubt. Any small boat that doesn't look like a canoe is now a yak.
And some that do look like some sort of "Nu Canoe" :). I bristled the first couple of times I heard kayak used to describe them, as I was an old school white water kayaker in years back, but it's one of those battles not worth fighting. That's what they call them if you want to buy one or build one.

·
Red X Angler
3,549 Posts
You right man ... I'd much rather be out there in the Pro 17 than a 14ft jon. Just the thought of 2 guys trying to paddle that beast thru the surf struck me as funny (paddle because I can't imagine the pedals would work in the sand).
I launch my PA 14 through the surf with the fins in. I just walk it out to about knee deep jump in and pedal like crazy. I come in backwards with the fins in to work the waves and jump out when I'm close to shore and walk it in. I think the same thing would work with the 17. The one thing about the 17 is if you catch something big and nasty ( Shark ) you have a buddy a buddy to share it with. :D

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
I don't know I have a Big Rig.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts