NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
Drop by Lew's Rod & Reel on Main St, right across the street from the base, or drop a line to "luremaker". Pick up some custom-designed lures and he'll point you in the right direction.

From the looks of the list, he might have been the first Sponsor on the site -- certainly one of the first batch...

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
I'm pretty sure there is a boat ramp right off highway 70 near the hampton inn in havelock that'll put you in slocum creek. I would talk to rye I think he fishes slocum creek.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Howdy Grizz1754,

There are several ramps on the Air Station. There’s one just outside Staff Housing, near the bridge on Slocum Creek – I call it the Ordnance Point ramp. It’ll put you about 3 miles up-creek from the Neuse River inlet. There’s one at Pelican Point, near the old Staff Club that’ll put you in Slocum Creek, about half a mile from the same Neuse River Inlet. There are two ramps at Hancock Boat Dock, which’ll put you on Hancock Creek about a stone’s throw from the Neuse River inlet. My favorite is the ramp at the back corner of Hancock Creek – the safest under any wind conditions – and easy to ramp just about any size boat you want. If I think I may want to fish both Hancock and Slocum, I’ll use this ramp. You can run out the mouth of Hancock, hang a left and scoot up the Neuse about 4 miles to the Slocum Creek Inlet. If I just want to fish Slocum, I’ll ramp at the Ordnance Point ramp. Pelican Point is a little tight for maneuvering a trailed boat and the ramp itself is placed in an odd position, giving little room to back a boat in the water without driving the boat into the nearby bank just to the rear of the ramp.

The ramp Crappie89 wrote of is OK if you have a very small, light boat, otherwise you may find you are unable to navigate the very narrow and skinny headwaters of Slocum. Some of the guys (that don’t have vehicle access to the Air Station) get through it but they know where all the cypress knees and stumps are. I’ve tried to get to that ramp from below and have yet to find the way worth the risk – black, ugly, stinking water as you get a ways up the creek. I’ve got a 21 ft skiff and couldn’t make it with the motor up as far as I dare and at idle speed.

Send me a PM and I’ll email you a GoogleEarth image with the ramps marked.

Good luck,
Dave

PS – Lew is a great guy and he stocks most anything you’d need to fish these local waters.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.