NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
1,875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is fun, building the rods. Learning a lot as I go, making mistakes, spending money, but really having a large time at it.

Might seems weird, but there is a rush catching a fish on the rod you built. (Yeah, I am "not wound too tight"!)

The Boss's rod is the Green, Yellow, and White rod will have the "MicroWave" line guides and I'll have to have it completed before our Red fishing trip in September.

The other rod is a conventional spinning rod, slightly heavier, than my first build. I think that marbling really looks great on any rod. Kinda gives it that "One of a Kind" look.

I am having a fun time building these rods and will be looking to branch out to different thing such as "Cross Wraps", Weaves, fly rods, surf rods, and just getting a little crazy with some designs.

Enjoy and thanks for looking. Mechanic Bob

Attachments

·
Registered
80 Posts
Its addicting. I started building rods for myself. I got hooked and now have a business. 100 plus a year. It will get very costly as your addiction grows. First a power wrapper then a better on Renzetti and a lath to turn different grips. 100s of spools of thread, hundreds of dollars in guides. You will buy every new product out there. Staying up all night working on a decorative wrap . Weaves will make you pull your hair out.
Nice marbling job it looks good with your seat. Did you do the reel seat or buy it?

·
Banned
1,875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Brett.
I bought the reel seat.
I can understand the point of getting hooked and buying stuff. I just want to do it for my retirement and enjoyment.
Hats off to you for making it a business.
It is like tying flies or reloading, I am just in it for the fun of it, no retail. If a buddy wants one built for him / her, yeah no problem, but I'll leave the retail up to you and others.
I do find it fun and something I'll look forward to and doing more. I do need to get more crazy and try a wrap. Weaves seem too expensive to do. I think I'll just use a decal instead. Need to learn when to say when.

·
Banned
1,875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Nice work! I always wanted to try this but I need to sell one of my other hobbies first.
Thanks, but unless you have time and extra $$, I would stick with your current hobbies! :)
My buddy wanted me to build him a St. Croix rod. He could buy it complete for $200 or the parts would cost me $280. Like building a car, one part at a time.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.