NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Moseyak and I hit the bottom of the Haw today - launched at the canoe launch just around the corner from Robeson Creek. It was a little breezy at times, but not enough to promote from being a bother to being a pain in any part of the anatomy, so I really can't complain...

Heard some reports of white bass, but didn't find much activity. Moseyak had been there since sun-up... by the time I got there, he was ready for a stretch, so he fished from the island for a while. While he was there, he hooked this lunker. Good thing for me he couldn't land it, I'd lose my reputation.

He found a few cats - not too big, but a welcome fight on a slow day.

Meanwhile, I taught a yellow perch not to inhale a treble hook. Poor guy, that was the last lesson he learned... If you're going to strike a fishhook, let it hook you in the mouth!

Since I couldn't get any more excitement than that going, I went exploring. I was more than happy to let this first fellow continue his nap, and saw more than one log burdened with families like the second shot.

Mosey wound up with big-fish honors for the day. Drifting our way back to the take-out, he got this feller's attention.

I wound up finding one that grabbed my spinnerbait, but I didn't manage to get the hook set, so he just let go... Would have been a good one, too...

Oh well -- sure beat working. And I even scored my first sunburn of the year!

·
Registered
146 Posts
Lefty:

I saw you and Moseyak at the Haw today. You had the yellow Liquid Logic anchored behind a small island and Moseyak was fishing the middle island across the river from you. Thought that was you from the picture on your posts but was not sure since we have never met. I was the guy in the waders who came up to the island just downstream from where you were anchored around 10:30 a.m.

Glad to see you guys out there in the yaks. I was planning to bring mine out there today too but the wind report convinced me to wade today (should have brought the yak anyway, the wind was not really too bad until mid afternoon). The white bass should show up in the next couple of weeks, did not see any today.

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Aw, man, you should have said something! Or, you should have said more than you did! I was even wearing my NCAngler cap!

Glad you were able to get out and enjoy some time outdoors!

·
Registered
146 Posts
Lefty, we chatted for a second from a distance. I asked if you were having any luck today but you didn't seem in much of a talking mood.....so figured you weren't having much luck or didn't appreciate the intrusion on the edge of your fishing hole from a "stranger". I didn't have my glasses on so could not see from that distance you were wearing an NC Angler hat. But as you were paddling away I recognized the PFD and the white hat from your picture, and I thought to myself......."I wonder if that was the infamous Lefty?".

I fish the Haw a lot, but mostly wade fishing with fly rod. The times that I have taken the yak out there, I stayed below the first rocks or paddled further downstream near the Robeson Creek confluence. You and Moseyak were the first yaks I have ever seen paddling upstream of the first line of exposed rocks for fishing, so I was curious to see how you were managing the currents and rocks. Yesterday the water levels were just right to cruise over the rocks but the currents were not too strong to make the paddle difficult. Wish I had brought my yak out there now. I may get the yak out there after work one day later this week.

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sorry you perceived me as uncommunicative. Oh well...

When I was in Scouts (yikes, 25 years ago??) we used to do a fair amount of whitewater canoeing, on some of the farther-upstream reaches of the Haw. I'm not automatically intimidated simply from the presence of rocks... but I'm learning first that it's awful difficult to paddle upstream through 'em. Then once I get going downstream, I don't know how my tackle-laden yak is going to perform compared to the two-man canoes we used to use. <shrug>

The first time I paddled that area, I was really thrilled to have tucked my yak into an eddy, and just like the books say, the eddy held me absolutely still. Facing downstream, I found a hole full of small catfish at about my 1:30 position, and every time I'd drag a nightcrawler over 'em, I'd hook one up. I think that was on the far branch of the river there.

Anyhow -- good to have met you, even though it was brief. I sure hope I'll be able to offer more opportunities!

·
Registered
146 Posts
Likewise on the meeting opportunities. That far side of the river branch you mentioned has some nice rapids that dump into a deep sluce and pool just above where the islands end. Good spot for white bass this time of year.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.