NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There is a 5-6 mile stretch from the dam at Jordan to Buckhorn dam that I'd like to fish. Oxygen levels should be high because of the upstream dam. Also, on this section of the river, the Deep joins the Haw which creates the Cape Fear.

A large launch site is available on Highway 42 which is south of US 1 near Moncure. From time to time, the wildlife folks have stocked this area with stripers.

Anyone interested in giving it a try?

·
Registered
871 Posts
That part of the Haw, Deep and Cape Fear rivers can be very productive. I use to fish there a lot when I had my boat, putting in at Buckhorn as you are suggesting. You can only go down the Cape Fear approximately 2 mile before getting to the dam and it can be very dangerous if you are not careful. Also, be very careful under the bridges, especially the US 1 bridge on the Haw as there are large concrete slabs just under water in the middle set of pilings. Good fishing though.
When are you planning to go?

Mark

·
Premium Member
6,642 Posts
What's the river like through that section? Plenty of of trees/shade? A shady fishing and floating trip on the kayak sounds like just the ticket for the warm days ahead.

Are you suggesting put-in at the Jordan spillway and take out at 42? Or just putting in at 42 and fishing up and down from there? Is there a good spot for putting in at the spillway?

Anyway, I could be talked into something like that. Just gotta get the calendar part right...

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I would suggest putting in and returning to the Highway 42 launch. The banks at Jordan's tailrace are much too steep and rocky for kayaks our size and weight. Trees do line the river bank and should provide shade in the afternoon. 619 1092 is my cell #.
Lewis

·
Registered
962 Posts
I would love to do something like that. Have launched out of that 42 put-in and gone downriver before and paddled back. Not hard at all. Guess it might have someting to do with release rates too.

I know that at the intersection of OldUS1xDeep, there is parking place, but very unfriendly for kayak launch. Anybody know about OldUS1xHaw? Would be great if there were a place to put in above the covergence and float to 42 ramp. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Think I'll take a road trip from Chapel Hill to check out old US1 x Haw location for suitability. That sure would be closer to the Deep/Haw confluence than going upstream from 42 which I estimate to be about 3 miles.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Old highway 1 x Deep River provides parking and a path to the water. Google Ramsey's Mill Chatham county. There may be a dam close by but I could not see it from the road. This could be a problem if it is downstream.

·
Registered
871 Posts
You can also put a Kayak in at the bridge on US 1 at the Deep River Rd. exit with room to park. The only thing is sometimes you need a 4x4 to get in and out of there if you take the dirt road all the way down to the river. take the Deep River Rd. exit and turn left at the end of the ramp and the dirt road that I am talking about is just across the bridge on the left. I go there sometimes to catfish.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I fished the Haw this past weekend on canoe. Put in at 64 and took out at the boat launch on Jordan lake off of Hanks chapel hill road. Haw was full of blue gill and small bass. Saw one carp, but spooked him. Water was extremely low at the lower section, the last ¼ ended up being more of a river walk then paddle. We saw an albino deer when we got into Jordan, it was white as a ghost.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
BassViaFly,
You're right, that portion of the river is loaded. I've always fished it by wading downstream from 64, casting into the pools. Some of those boulders in the river become huge as you get closer to Jordan. The scenery reminds one of mountain streams, not piedmont NC.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.