NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
I'm not the one to answer this as I have never fished the haystacks bu I'm pretty sure I know where you are talking about. If you follow the shipping channel around Radio Island and under the Morehead -Beaufort bridge the channel will take you right by them. they are just north of the bridge and west of the Beaufort airport. I believe they are listed on some charts as the Newport marshes. They are a series of sloughs /islands just off the channel. At high tide there is a lot of flooded spartina grass to chase reds in and some of the sloughs are supposed to be pretty deep. due to being right next to the channel this area has fish written all over it. But again I have never fished that hole so maybe someone who has and knows more about the area will come out of hibernation.:D Sorry I couldn't tell you more about it but It should be worth investigating as I have heard a good bit about it and when a guy from Beaufort pointed it out to me as we were crossing the bridge years ago I thought he was off his rocker when he said "right there's the haystacks." LOL He had to explain that it was a local Hotspotand what they were calling the haystacks was merely marsh. AL

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
sinker man--- That's where they are, but I haven't ever fished them. To get there by boat, if you launch your boat at Radio Island Marina they can visually point them out from their location. If you cross high rise bridge going to Beaufort look to left from top of bridge, it will be the marsh islands to left of channel off ICW. You can see the deep water along shorelines on a calm day. There is a public ramp in Beaufort just off Lennoxville Road. There used to be an old menhaden factory on one of the islands , got name from piles of pogy fish awaiting processing that looked like haystacks from a distance. At least somebody told me this tale, so don't hold me to it-- Sounds correct anyway.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.