NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I got down to the launch and there was a little more wind than I expected. I paddled out and found a bank that looked good. I threw a top water bait all down the bank. Nothing. I got to a point with an oyster bar and threw to it. Worked it twice stopped and the water erupts. Missed. Worked the point a bit but nothing else was interested. I switched to a jig and first cast hook up. Fish made a 3 second pull of drag then gone. Im not having the best of luck today staying hooked up. On the paddle back I saw one last spot that looked fishy. I made the cast with the jig and reeled up the slack. I jogged it once and dang. I'm hung on an oyster. I pulled a little harder and then there's a splash and a wake pushing away from me with my line in tow. Fish on. After some Maneuvering and a bit of a fight I was able to land my first red on a kayak.
Food Seafood Fish Fish products Tail

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
Be careful in the yaks this weekend guys. All the seasonal boaters will be out in full force and may not be as observant as those who are on the water more.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Saw right many fish. Spooked most of them. Tide was going out and got real low had to drag the yak through some soft muck on the way back out. 3 hook ups all on live bait, fish were busting minnows on the surface but not even a sniff on top water. Also threw a spinner, spoon and jig to no avail. Got a few minnows and was hooked up in 5 minutes. Head back tomorrow to see if I can figure them out.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Nice work Curly. I may have to tag along on one of your trips these days.
Any time. Just be warned I'm new to kayak fishing and the marsh in swansboro hence me having to drag the yak through some soft marsh mud(wasn't paying attention to depth or the tide). Was worth it to get to the fish though. Aviation Aircraft Aerospace manufacturer Military aircraft Wing

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Wasn't the launch that was muddy. The Reds were up in the shallows of the marsh. Enough to paddle in but when the tide dropped there was less than an inch on the way out. There is a map of kayak launches. I googled kayak launches NC and found it, I'm almost positive someone posted it here a while back too. When I get home in the morning I'll try to post the link. I went back to the Same area yesterday evening and saw nothing on the incoming tide. I got a 4day weekend this coming up weekend for my wife's birthday. I asked her what she wanted to do and she said yak everyday and for me to cook dinner every day. So I'll be exploring this coming weekend maybe find some in coming tide spots.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.