NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In late April, I have a kitchen pass and heading to Islamorada for seven days of fishing. I am chartering with a great captain for several days but I am taking the kayak and looking for sugestions of places to fish. Also looking for recommendations on kayak guides in the Keys......HELP!!!!!:confused:

On the Charter side, if you are heading down to the Keys and want to charter with a good captain and have fun, look up Frank Cone (fishlockjaw.com). He fishes out of his family boat (26' mako) and he will put you on fish. :D:D

Fishgent

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
Spent my 13th birthday on a trolling charter in Key West. Next time I went back was in 2005 on my honeymoon 25yrs later. I don't intend to wait another 25!!!
Have fun and be safe!!!!!

·
Premium Member
7,911 Posts
Sounds like a great trip!

My only experience fishing anywhere in that neighborhood was a guide trip for Peacock Bass in the Miami canals, which was very cool. Lots of sight fishing and lots of fishing in people's back yards. Same guide service offered everglades trips (bass boat, not kayak - Florida Peacock Bass Fishing Guide Service).

Found these guys poking around the internet: http://www.keyskayakfishing.com/fishing.html

kayakfishingstuff.com has a florida forum where you might get some better local knowledge.

Let us know what you find down that way.

·
Registered
321 Posts
There's lots of opportunities around Islamorada.Take that yak around Lignumvitae and Shell key.Motors are restricted over seagrass beds so you won't have to worry about boats too close.Anyone near will probably be poling.Try the next Key-long key Bight and you will probably have the whole basin to yourself.Easy access from the road and tons of channels and mangroves to explore.Cuda,bonefish,mangrove snappers,tarpon and many other fish .If you go up into the mangrove canals take some bug spray.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have finally found some time to post pics from my trip. We could not have had better weather - mid 80s and sunny everyday. The biggest problem was the water was TOOOOOOOOOOO clear. We had to mix sand with chum to get the baitfish close to the boat. We had to work everyday because the water was so clear, but the fishing was great. We caught many large and small fish, but my favorite was a large Bonita I caught on light gear with only a 15# tippet (I think I have attached a picture) when we were using green and white buck tails trying to catch bonita to use as bait.
We spent a couple hours one day trying to caught 100# plus amberjacks on the hump but there were some big sharks eating them in ONE bite. When this started happening - I quickly realized that I was no the top of the food chain at that moment. Her eis just a short list of som eof the fish we caught - dolphin, amberjack, snapper - several varieties, grouper, yellowtails, sea trout, ladyfish, bonita, mackeral, sharks, etc. I know I am leaving out several types - it quickly became a joke about different species being heard from.

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.