NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Heading out of Masonboro inlet with a few buddies tues morning, if the weather report holds up. Looking forward to fishing for some Bonito, Bluefish, and anything else that may be running. We'll probably try AR 370 and AR 372 reefs. These guys work nights and are coming straight from work in the AM so we'll only have a few hours to fish. Hoping not to disappoint anyone. Any advice on lures, techniques, and fish that are running now would be very much appreciated. Probably going to try some bottom fishing, trolling, and drifting. I was thinking of trying crystal minnows, gotcha plugs, diamond jigs, spoons and or cut bait??? If anyone can help me narrow down the choices, please do.:confused:

·
Registered
2,748 Posts
Big Al,, here's a tip for ya.
At Money Point on the right of the ICW as your coming from the boat ramp headin out, right before the red nav marker before you make the port turn to the inlet, there's a small channel off the ICW. It's a small channel that those folks use there to access the mooring for their boats there at those condo's. It's a green colored sea wall and that channel at best is less than 50 yards long right off the ICW. (it's just before that long dock with the lift and before that last red nav marker).

If you stay between them poles (unmarked) and get in that channel up near the sea wall,, that's the place I catch pinfish and baitfish. Just remember,, darker water = deeper water.. it's way shallow on the outside of them poles and it's about 6 ft deep in that channel.

You can sabiki rig them up around them pilings or against the wall there or throw a cast net out to try your luck.. but for live bait.. that's the spot I catch mine... and idea there to put in your tool box.

We've caught squid, crab, pinfish, finger mullets and even shrimps..

Good luck and catch'm up! ;)

·
Registered
14,639 Posts
Mike--If you decide to take the boat out tuesday, I'll keep an ear out for you! If you want to buddy boat just say the word!:)
I wish I could make it out Tuesday - weather looks great. However we (wife and I) are down here in GA visiting our son before he heads to Iraq next month. We won't be back until late Tuesday.

I hope you catch 'em up. Don't forget the camera!

·
Registered
2,748 Posts
You know where I'm talkin about then... :D
I've thrown the cast net up on that private boat ramp there next to the sea wall. and in the channel itself. Only time it's hairy throwing the net is against the wall itself.... some nasty rocks along the edge there that will tear up the net.

If there's bait, they'll be there.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
We'll, we caught a bunch of those invisible fish, and I lost two lures! The ocean was calm as glass. The water was 57 degrees. Kind of cold yet. There were about 5 other boats all catching about the same:( . There was one group out there using live bait, but they didn't seem to be doing any better. We used cut bait, for bottom drifting and lures for trolling around the liberty ship and in at the jetties. Better days are coming:) I know they are!!! Maybe if we went out a little further, but there just wasn't enough time. We still had a pleasant relaxing beautiful day!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.