NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
579 Posts
Hey all,

Going to take the drive to Kerr this weekend to try and catch my very first striper! Coming from Raleigh and looks like the Kerr State Recreation area looks to be the closest to launch from.

Anyone know where to find big minnows / shad in that area for my trip?

Any tips and advice are appreciated!

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
229 Posts
think i going myself i will be in a kayak, bobcats has jumbos, fish the creeks grassy , butchers, think i am trying butchers, starting at ramp and fishing up, seems that casting bucktails and rattle traps are working too. hope you find em... if you use planners run bait bout 20' find the bait find the fish..

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
think i going myself i will be in a kayak, bobcats has jumbos, fish the creeks grassy , butchers, think i am trying butchers, starting at ramp and fishing up, seems that casting bucktails and rattle traps are working too. hope you find em... if you use planners run bait bout 20' find the bait find the fish..
Where would you recommend launching near the bait shop?

Thanks for the help

·
Registered
195 Posts
Hey all,

Going to take the drive to Kerr this weekend to try and catch my very first striper! Coming from Raleigh and looks like the Kerr State Recreation area looks to be the closest to launch from.

Anyone know where to find big minnows / shad in that area for my trip?

Any tips and advice are appreciated!

Thanks in advance
I would go to Falls to net some shad before you head up there if you have a bait tank. Their real proud of those big minnows up there at the bait shop.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
575 Posts
There's a gas station/bait shop on Satterwhite Point Rd. (Henderson) on the way to one of the boat launches where you can get any fishing supplies you may need. Matter of fact, you can go straight and launch off Saterwhite Pt. road at the park, or turn left at the gas station and launch on the other side of the bridge.

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
white, pearl, cream, paddle tails , slow trolled and tossed at baitballs if all else fails..

Reactions: RouseD and sporkd2

·
Registered
5,580 Posts
If you put in at Longwood (in Grassy creek) Bobcats is about a mile up the road, if you are a sucker for fishing tackle, carry only enough cash for your minnows:D. If you have a cast net, Grassy creek is usually loaded with shad this time of year. If you are going to the Nutbush end of the lake, there are several stores off of Hwy 39 that sell shad. The store at the intersection of Satterwhite Rd and Nutbush rd also has them and a heck of a tackle selection.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Have lived north of Raleigh 12 years now and have never tried Kerr stripers, only salt water. Need to give it a try too. Seems everyone has been very gracious to share their information for us beginners to that fishery. Good basic info to start from. Let me know sporkd2 if you need a fishing partner sometime to go after these fish up there. Would like to get started doing that. I do have a boat but am willing to help with gas on yours as well. Live up in southern Granville County. Can't go this weekend though. Thanks.

·
Registered
33 Posts
All the above are good suggestions. If you can get some live shad will be you best bet. They don't have to be really large. Slow troll with your trolling motor pulling them under a float rig.
Launch at the old ramp at Nutbush. Start fishing as soon as you launch. There is a large school of stripers that have been hanging out near P buoy. Just continue to work that area. This is where Flat Creek and Nutbush Creek intersect. I have watched fish being caught here. I park in the launch ramp parking lot and watch the locals. If you are coming Saturday you will see them there. Good luck.

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
Usually shad balls around nutbush bridge too. Popular place to net bait. You can drift up by boat or walk down the fishermans catwalk on the bridge.

Reactions: RouseD

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
What did it fall for?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.