NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Kings and Cobia are moving in..... well maybe.... This time of year the water temps can be a little unstable but you gotta be there when the fish are there to catch them. You'd better hurry if you want to be the first to catch a king or cobia on your favorite pier. That is unless it is Ocean Crest Pier . The first King and first Cobia have already been landed there (Oak Island). Anyways they are usually close behind the Spanish Macks which are on the beaches in the southern part of the state. AL

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
Ya know, havent thought about that Mike, let me see what I've got goin on.
Interested in goin out with us if I can swing it for that weekend?? :)

After mothers day weekend, crapy weather weekends, this that and the other preventing me from headin offshore.. I'm goin this weekend for sure.
We'll be launching out of Masonboro. Should be at the ramp at O'dark 30 (usually leave Sanford 'bout 2 a.m. get there 'bout 4 and get out the inlet at dark then start trollin till the light comes up enough to run it out to the stream).

Got a really good feelin 'bout the grouper holes right now and we'll spend probably half half time doin the troll/bottom thing. Would be nice to boat a yellowfin or a wahoo (I just want one before we head down to Fla next month). :)

PM me on memorial day weekend, maybe we can set somethin up,, Get Forrest out there with us and maybe a couple others! :)

·
Registered
374 Posts
Cobia At Surf City Pier

What's up guys and gals? Haven't been on for a long time, but, I did get down to Topsail during the week. Mostly for work needed on the property........painting, roof coating and such. Got through with that, then headed up to the pier. Wednesday afternoon, a buddy and I caught 11 Spanish, and over 30 Bluefish, between 4:30, and dark.
Also, a fellow King fisherman, landed the first big fish of the year...........a 44.6 lb Cobia!! The guy got out there at 4:45 PM, slid a bait in the water, and at 5:00...............Had him on!! Anybody interested in seeing a picture, can see it at the pier's website..........surfcityoceanpier.com

Hope everyone's doing well, and catching some fish,

Pier Dweller

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Wow! I was just going to tell you to head back down that the cobia would be there this weekend with any luck. Thanks for the heads up on the pier website. Didn't know it existed. You got any use for an Allstar heaver, 10' 1pc rated 6-12 oz. Got an extra on the way to the island back in April that need a guide replaced. Ring missing out of 3 foot guide. Unfortunately I'm covered up w/ work (12hrs today) and have to work next weekend too. It might be a little while before I can get down but right now is when I wanted to be there. It's hard to beat a cobia and spanish run for quick pick me up. AL

·
Registered
374 Posts
Al,

Sounds like a nice surf stick you have there. .........I moved, back in January, and don't have a building to do any rod wrapping/repair. Or, anwhere to put something like that. Thanks for the offer.
I'll be heading down to Topsail again the week of June 5th, for 10 days. Hopefully, I can get one of those fat Cobia to sing for me.

Mark

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
pier dweller---Its good to see you posting again-- I had begun to wonder if the 'bigun' had pulled you off the pier.

Later, Forrest

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just maybe I can sqeeze out a long weekend around then.I want to get back up there when the fish are actually biting. The last trip I had to take when I could get the time, the next one will probably when I can make the time. Right now I've got way too much work scheduled or I would have gone this weekend.

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It seems like there is a pattern of king catches on the week of the 4th of July. I know there are twice as many or more people fishing that week but it does seem like there is a good chance for the fish to average a few lbs heavier that week. I'm trying to angle for a first in a lifetime week off at the 4th and still catch a long weekend before the cobia slow down. That reminds me that tarpon time starts Mid July so I still gotta build up some brownie points. LOL Then there's the mullet blows that you just can't afford to miss. IF I just had good sense I'd be living the good life and waking up to watch the sun come up out the ocean every morning. AL

·
Registered
17,131 Posts
sinker man said:
It seems like there is a pattern of king catches on the week of the 4th of July. I know there are twice as many or more people fishing that week but it does seem like there is a good chance for the fish to average a few lbs heavier that week. I'm trying to angle for a first in a lifetime week off at the 4th and still catch a long weekend before the cobia slow down. That reminds me that tarpon time starts Mid July so I still gotta build up some brownie points. LOL Then there's the mullet blows that you just can't afford to miss. IF I just had good sense I'd be living the good life and waking up to watch the sun come up out the ocean every morning. AL
Sounds to me like you need to move back to the coast..................

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Al--- I have several hundred pictures of spectacular sunrises over the banks from my place. Do you think some of them may help you a little bit?:D

Later, Forrest

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
You guys are all killin me along with this job I have. I left out at 6:30 am and got in at 10:30 pm today. All for little or nothing when it is all said and done. I'm looking into getting rid of this job and getting a rackett. Anybody got a good one they would share. AL

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.