NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got in the water a few minutes after daylight this morning to fish a portion of the river that I hadn't tried yet. I'm glad I did.

With all the talk of nymphing and different ways to do it lately I started the day with a black hares ear. Fished it for a while with no luck then switched to a slumpbuster then eventually to a woolly bugger (conehead for both). Nailed fish after fish on the slumpbuster then it happens:

I hook into what I knew was a quality trout around 11am. After not seeing it for several seconds I expected a nice fish....finally there it was., fighting like a champ, a monster brown. Up and down the current it went and I tried doing everything I knew how to without horsing it in and breaking it off. This thing was the biggest trout by a large margin that I've battled so far. It finally got into faster water and took off under a log and that was the end. Broken line. Trophy fish. Broken heart. No doubt this fish was 24" and probably larger. Looked like a freakin' musky. Probably 6" tall from bottom to top. I would've had to grab the fish and use my net both simultaneously. My net wouldn't have touched that monster.

Dazed, I laid my rod down and sat down and stared at the water. Reflecting on what just took place. I ate lunch. I felt like cussing, quitting, crying and leaving all at once. Sat there without moving for 45 minutes. Added more tippet then started again. First cast and I hooked into a rainbow. Funny how things happen.

Brookies, browns and bows were all taking part in the action today. Great day overall. I'll likely reminisce about the one that got away for quite some time. This is fishing. It happens. Still sucks.

I've realized that after not having luck in a hole initially not to give up. Let everything settle after approaching and keep working it before moving on. I've began to try several retrieves on each area that I know should hold fish before giving up. More often than not I'll lift a trout from the depths to reward me for my efforts.

Sent from my kayak...

·
Registered
279 Posts
Thanks for giving me some motivation to get on the water tomorrow!! Sucks you lost the big guy, I feel your pain i lost two trophy fish in 2014, both so close to the net I could taste it. One was a "log" of a brown trout, it would have doubled my 3.5lb. PB for trout for sure…Great pic's as always.. I'm going to hit the Tuck after some morning chores, and see if those fish will take the buggers too…

·
Premium Member
7,806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for giving me some motivation to get on the water tomorrow!! Sucks you lost the big guy, I feel your pain i lost two trophy fish in 2014, both so close to the net I could taste it. One was a "log" of a brown trout, it would have doubled my 3.5lb. PB for trout for sure…Great pic's as always.. I'm going to hit the Tuck after some morning chores, and see if those fish will take the buggers too…
Good luck. Keep us posted!

Sent from my kayak...

·
Red X Angler
11,230 Posts
Any day with a trout slam is great, to bad about the big brown. but you know where he lives. The biggest trout I have ever caught was a 24" plus brown on a 18 or 20 Zebra midge when I saw it I was nervous till it hit the net. A lot of times is take considerable luck with a big fish and lots of things in the water to hang up on. Good job with the fly rod.

Darrell

·
Premium Member
7,806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I wish I could've fished on until dark but those 40-45mph gusts of wind they were forecasting showed up around lunch time. I fished on through the wind until it got to the point where my rod was bent of just trying to hold on to it. It's ok.....it was NFL playoff time almost anyhow.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I fished the Ararat on Saturday afternoon with some good success. Nothing too big. I did catch my PB there 2 years ago about this time of year. close to a 5 lb rainbow. I won't ask you to give up your spot, but where did you park at? I've only ever fished from the middle school (the middle parking area) down to the elementary school (at the end). I've never touched any of the water at the beginning of the DH area at the park.

·
Premium Member
7,806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I fished the Ararat on Saturday afternoon with some good success. Nothing too big. I did catch my PB there 2 years ago about this time of year. close to a 5 lb rainbow. I won't ask you to give up your spot, but where did you park at? I've only ever fished from the middle school (the middle parking area) down to the elementary school (at the end). I've never touched any of the water at the beginning of the DH area at the park.
I parked where I think you did. Where the bathrooms are. I've fished the entire DH section of this river.

Sent from my kayak...

·
Premium Member
7,806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Gotcha. I really need to try the other part at some point, but it's hard not to go where you know you'll catch fish. Maybe one of these days. Congrats on the good day. Sorry about the slab though.
Yea. I think if a man fishes the same waters all the time he'll obviously learn it and become more productive. For me though I like to fish new stretches and streams/rivers when I can. Keeps it interesting even though I don't know every hole as I would if I concentrated on one flow all the time. But fishing different waters/situations surely will have to make a man more versatile.

Sent from my kayak...

·
Registered
6,382 Posts
Yea. I think if a man fishes the same waters all the time he'll obviously learn it and become more productive. For me though I like to fish new stretches and streams/rivers when I can. Keeps it interesting even though I don't know every hole as I would if I concentrated on one flow all the time. But fishing different waters/situations surely will have to make a man more versatile.

Sent from my kayak...
I agree, fishing different bodies of water definitely makes you a more rounded angler.

·
Registered
17,058 Posts
Got in the water a few minutes after daylight this morning to fish a portion of the river that I hadn't tried yet. I'm glad I did.

With all the talk of nymphing and different ways to do it lately I started the day with a black hares ear. Fished it for a while with no luck then switched to a slumpbuster then eventually to a woolly bugger (conehead for both). Nailed fish after fish on the slumpbuster then it happens:

I hook into what I knew was a quality trout around 11am. After not seeing it for several seconds I expected a nice fish....finally there it was., fighting like a champ, a monster brown. Up and down the current it went and I tried doing everything I knew how to without horsing it in and breaking it off. This thing was the biggest trout by a large margin that I've battled so far. It finally got into faster water and took off under a log and that was the end. Broken line. Trophy fish. Broken heart. No doubt this fish was 24" and probably larger. Looked like a freakin' musky. Probably 6" tall from bottom to top. I would've had to grab the fish and use my net both simultaneously. My net wouldn't have touched that monster.

Dazed, I laid my rod down and sat down and stared at the water. Reflecting on what just took place. I ate lunch. I felt like cussing, quitting, crying and leaving all at once. Sat there without moving for 45 minutes. Added more tippet then started again. First cast and I hooked into a rainbow. Funny how things happen.

Brookies, browns and bows were all taking part in the action today. Great day overall. I'll likely reminisce about the one that got away for quite some time. This is fishing. It happens. Still sucks.

I've realized that after not having luck in a hole initially not to give up. Let everything settle after approaching and keep working it before moving on. I've began to try several retrieves on each area that I know should hold fish before giving up. More often than not I'll lift a trout from the depths to reward me for my efforts.

Sent from my kayak...
I,m like Darrel, well rounded fishermam.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.