NC Angler Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having just spent 3 days in the heat and the sun of SC and FL, I'm impressed with two products: the Simms GT Tricomp LS shirt and the Simms Sungaiter.

The sungaiter covered ears, face and neck for total sunprotection. It wicked sweat and was actually comfortable in spite of the heat. It certainly beat trying to re-apply sunscreen every couple of hours over beads of sweat. Many folks are familiar with Buffs, but the Simms is much better "engineered" and much more comfortable...and it has breathing holes. An excellent accessory.

I confess I was a little skeptical of the Tricomp shirt...if for no other reason the price. But, it was everything the advertising claimed...wicking, cool, comfortable, stretch action back was great for us stout fellows, not a lot of excess fabric, zipper chest pockets. The Core3 fabric and "cool control" properties works great...as did the anti-odor properties. I've had an identical report from a customer who wore his for several days on hot trout streams.

Two products I recommend without reservation.

·
Red X Angler
1,060 Posts
Thanks for the feedback. I recently checked these out at Bass Pro in Concord Mills Mall. Price somewhat scared me

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yea...I understand...thus the reason for my initial skepticism on the shirt. But, after putting it's thru it's paces and comparing it's performance and features to others I became a convert. The comfort and fit of the Sun Gaiter is it's selling feature...doesn't feel like you have an "ace bandage" wrapped around your face...

·
Registered
875 Posts
After being diagnosed with a case of melanoma during the winter, I have become all to aware of the dangers of sun exposure. I have purchased several sun protection items, like long sleeve shirts, floppy hats, etc. I will take a hard look at this Gaiter. I like the sound of it, and not having to keep re-applying the sunscreen is a big advantage. I have to say I too was skeptical of the cooling properties of the long sleeve shirts, but after wearing them, I have found them to be no hotter than my short sleeves, maybe even a little cooler due to the wicking properties. And it sure beats the alternatives. Thanks for the tip.

·
Red X Angler
1,060 Posts
After being diagnosed with a case of melanoma during the winter, I have become all to aware of the dangers of sun exposure. I have purchased several sun protection items, like long sleeve shirts, floppy hats, etc. I will take a hard look at this Gaiter. I like the sound of it, and not having to keep re-applying the sunscreen is a big advantage. I have to say I too was skeptical of the cooling properties of the long sleeve shirts, but after wearing them, I have found them to be no hotter than my short sleeves, maybe even a little cooler due to the wicking properties. And it sure beats the alternatives. Thanks for the tip.
I was not diagnosed with melanoma but I was diagnosed with squamous cell carcinoma and had a chunk of my ear removed (roughly two pencil erasers worth of ear) I now have a new found respect and go out of my way to protect my skin especially head/neck and ears.
I did spend time looking at the Sungaiter and did not buy only because I knew nothing about it or had anyone offer comments on it. Instead I went with a Salt Life cool towel. Although not perfect, it sure makes a huge difference.
The towel covers my head, neck and ears and easily fits under my cap.
The very best part of this towel is it keeps you cool, literally cool. Right out of the package the towel is cool. Only requirement is that every couple hours is to rinse in water and it is back to cooling.
Again, not the perfect item, but it sure works well enough

cool towel.jpg

1 - 5 of 5 Posts