NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I had bought a daiwa fishing rod and reel at the beginning of the season, and it's done me all right for the most part, but the reel is kinda cheaply made (a lot of plastic parts) and I had been complaining about it to my dad. Well, my dad offered to send me one of HIS dad's open face spinning reels that was juts collecting dust in the garage.

Well I got it in the mail yesterday, and it seems to be a great reel, but the thing is OOOOLLLDD. Like the title says, it's a Heddon Open Face Spinning Reel, with the number 284 on the box and on the reel. I have no clue how old it is...my dad thought maybe 70's or 80's...all I know is that it looks old as dirt (in styling, not condition).

Anyway does anyone know anything about it? If you want, I might be able to post a pic..

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
haha OH I'm not knocking it...I'm just wondering if I should hold onto it in case it'd be worth more later. Also, I'm wondering if someone can tell me that Heddons were pieces of junk in their day and I should throw it out, OR if Heddons were masterpieces and I'll catch more fish than anyone else!

lol If it's not worth a whole lot, I'm just gonna keep it and use it. It is in great condition and feels like a good reel. It'll definately do me better than that Daiwa reel lol.

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
Heddons were solid reels. They are sort of heavy and slow as I guess you already figured out. The last time I checked they had to be near perfect to be worth collecting. I'll check on that particular model and see what they are trading at.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Every website I've gone to that mentions Heddon reels only mentions much older ones. Heck, I'll just throw it on the rod and see how she does lol. It's DEFINATELY heavy, but doesn't feel slow to me. I took her apart to see what she's made of, and it's definately built a whole lot stronger than the cheap daiwa one. (Not to knock daiwa, they make good tackle, this is just one of their cheapo ones.) It also seems to hold a couple miles worth of line!! lol

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
There is a near perfect one listed on e-Bay with 2days + left. The starting bid is $50 with no bids. I doubt it will get more than an initial opening bid if that. They aren't considered collectable but there are always one or two takers for old shiny things...Usually at too high of a price. I've sold several very nice ones for $10-15 in the past few years. I've seen the prices at the flea markets go any where from $5-$40 for nearly new condition. I've never seen one bring $40 there though. The $5 ones I grab. LOL

·
Registered
2,748 Posts
Sometimes ya gotta know when to hold'm or know when to fold'm.

I say if it works.. keep it around, if anything as a back up or for someone else to use if they dont have a rod... if they break it.. they bought it right? ;) ha ha ha hah .....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.