NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
S I picked up a few of the Zara spook series just curious who is using them and what kind of results you have seen with them. Read up on a lot of reviews for them, but looking for a more accurate account for how it's done for you. Also for those of you using it, how hard was it to learn how to "walk the dog"

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I will be using it for the purpose of large mouth.. I've read some great reviews on large mouth fishing with the heddon zara series, I actually picked up a wounded zara spook. Have you guys found that the 4"+ is too big for large mouth? Should I look into one of Heddon's like 3" zara's?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I always have a spook tied on in the warmer months (April-Oct). Its one of my go to baits.

This is a Super Spook Jr. in the mouth of a 3 lb largemouth, notice the front hook is down in there close to the gills... he ate it head first.

i plan on using lizards in March then come April throwing on the wounded Zara and a front on another pole. Is the super spook jr a 4" also? I'm worried that the 4" is too big it just seems so large when I play with it wishing that I was out fishing lol

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
Proven bait design mimicked a modified a touch by several makers.

Reactions: RouseD

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I pretty much bought the lure blind, so it's great to see some actual review of guys catching fish on it. I might pick up a JR before April, but I think I made a good choice on the wounded Zara. I have watched a few videos on YouTube on "walking the dog" I was just looking for more input on how long it took you guys to get the hang of it.

·
Registered
5,580 Posts
Walking the dog is just a matter of getting the rythm right between twitching and reeling. I move the rod in a short downward motion and work the rod with my wrist, it doesnt take much. By keeping the rod tip down it keeps the lure pulling through the water rather than lifting it. When a fish grabs it I sweep the rod to the side to set the hook.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
The hardest thing about fishing these topwater lures isn't walking the dog, but learning how to have patience when a fish strikes. Don't set the hook on the blowup, and let the fish take it before you set it. You have to actually feel the weight of the fish before you lay the hammer down. Sometimes the weight of the fish swimming away will actually set the hook for you before you have a chance---But this is not the case most of the time. You usually have to let him take it first. I usually swing about 1 second after the blowup, which is usually about the time when i feel the fish pulling after he takes it. Swing too early, and the lure comes flying out of his mouth. Wait too long, and the fish will shake the lure.
This is always a hard lesson to learn and usually gets learned after losing a few fish. I miss summertime some kind of bad...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The hardest thing about fishing these topwater lures isn't walking the dog, but learning how to have patience when a fish strikes. Don't set the hook on the blowup, and let the fish take it before you set it. You have to actually feel the weight of the fish before you lay the hammer down. Sometimes the weight of the fish swimming away will actually set the hook for you before you have a chance---But this is not the case most of the time. You usually have to let him take it first. I usually swing about 1 second after the blowup, which is usually about the time when i feel the fish pulling after he takes it. Swing too early, and the lure comes flying out of his mouth. Wait too long, and the fish will shake the lure.
This is always a hard lesson to learn and usually gets learned after losing a few fish. I miss summertime some kind of bad...

Oh I hear that, I usually use frogs and I lost a few nice ones by jerking at the initial strike, took me a few lost fish to develop my patience lol. I'm like you though I usually wait about a second before I try to set the hook, I keep my drag tight and usually run braided line so that the bass might set the hook himself off his natural force on the strike. Usually once I feel the pull (usually 1 second or so after the strike) I go ahead and start to reel and ensure the hook is set. I'm super excited to start using this lure, looks like he feedback is all positive.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.