NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys and Gals. My name is Zach Petersen. I have been fishing for 15 years. Freshwater until the last 5 and now I am fresh no more. Don't get me wrong, I love the freshwater species too, just love the salt because you never know what you are going to pull up next.

I am from the Greensboro area, but reside in Charlotte while I finish my Masters in Earth Sciences. I am a lover of the outdoors. I love it so much that I majored in it and work in it. I basically enforce environmental rules set up by DENR. I love telling people, "My favorite thing in the world to do is fish. . .you hurt my chances of catching fish, I am coming after you".

I am a huge advocate for the environment, and overall just responsibility for it. Please, everyone do your part.

I have a 17.5 Scout that takes me everywhere from the Cheasapeke Bay to 15 miles out of Bogue Inlet. My second home is in Swansboro, NC.

Hope to see everyone out on the water. . .

·
Registered
10 Posts
Welcome Zach! I know what you mean about the love of the salt........same here, but I still do quite a bit of fresh. Heading out this weekend with a group of guys to Portsmouth Island at the outerbanks. We have a ferry take us over and leave us and the 4x's. We stay for 5 or 6 days. The Island has a few cabins that are solar powered for days and a part-time generator. Nothing there but surf, fish, birds.........and of course mammoth mosquitos! We catch quite a varity of fish, red and black drum, blues, trout, flounder, pompano, and whiting (virginia mullet), also all of the run of the mill trash fish.

Keep up the good work and I'll do my part.

Tight lines!
Steve

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good luck this weekend, catch a few fish for me. . . I am going to fix up a little from what Ophelia has torn up. Good luck. . .Tight lines. . . and Stay Green.

What is the name of the island?

Later,

Z

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
Welcome aboard, Its good to have an environmental answer man onboard. Sometimes I think we waste as many fish as we use and much of that is thru environmental degradation. Unfortunatly we sometimes have some high hurdles to cross in the political arena in order to make meaningful progress. Hope to hear from you soon. AL

·
Registered
10 Posts
Island

You had asked about the island name. It is "Portsmouth Island". On a clear day you can see Okrakoke from the north end of Portsmouth. Also, you mentioned you have a 17.5 Scout. I have a 16.5 Scout sportfish and really love it. Just wish I had more footage at times!

Looks like you received a pretty good welcome here. I really enjoy the site. It is not only informative and clean but also has some great guys with a good sense of humor.

Enjoy:D

·
Registered
10 Posts
Welcome! Thank you for the reply on my introduction page. I am glad that you agree with me on fishing nurturing your relationship. I believe that you learn each others true self on the water. How a person handles disapointment, triumph, and decision making really translates into everyday life. I hope you and your girl have many more fishing trips ahead of you! (we fish out of bogue quite a lot during tourneys......maybe we will see you out on the water!)

·
Registered
52 Posts
Welcome Zack! Good to have another "neighbor" i.e. Swansboro native, on board. I agree with you on the "never know what you're gonna pull outta the salt water" issue. Two days ago, my wife and I were fishing in the abnormally fresh White Oak river (our area is always brackish...but the rains have made even fresher) and caught several small puppy drum (under 18"), 4 flounder, a two foot eel, a one pound pinfish, and two broadhead catfish!
I'll admit that was much more variety than we normally see here, but this happens ever few years after a lot of rain (last year, a gill netter told me he'd had a net ruined at Alligator Gut after a lot of rains when he found two dozen large gar caught in the net).

Just goes to show you as Fats Waller was fond of saying, "One never knows, do one?"

·
Registered
116 Posts
Zach,
Your zeal and posture on environmental quality are cornerstone to the future of our sport. As a former and current environmental professional and lifelong fisherman, I appreciate your efforts, your obvious clarity about our world, and most of all, your remarkable cognizance that fishing is more about relationships between people and the planet than it is about catching fish. Enjoying your fish dinner is merely honey on the cornbread.
After reading this thread, it would be my honor fish with you sometime. I have a crusty old boat just north of Charlotte near marker 3 on Lake Norman. We don't always catch alot of fish, but we always enjoy the ride. I feel a similar kinship to your other folks who regularly post on this site. It started with one great guy and now there are more. I think someday we should all get together for fish fry!...and maybe we can get Forrest to bring the oyster stew.
Tight knots hold fast,
Andy

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.