NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. I as the name says I am a coach (football) in the fayetteville area. Have just started getting back into fishing after a long hiatus (since 94). Was my grandfather's and my special time together and took me a long time to get back out. Went out once and have recaught the fire. I have a jon boat that is not ready for the water yet and was hoping for some advice and possible locations for shore fishing until I get the boat water worthy. (Boat was grandpas, not been in the water since before he died.) Thanks in advance.

Coach D

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
Morning, Coach, welcome aboard!
Glad to hear you've been bitten again by the ol' fishing bug. It got me last year. I think you'll find this a comfortable and helpful place to do your e-fishing.

Some of the textbook answers for finding shore-fishing opportunities:
  • Go to NCWildlife.org and look up Public Fishing Areas. These are free public-access areas, specifically intended for fishing. Some are just gravel parking spots near a bank, others have docks and other facilities, depends on the spot.
  • The Community Fishing Program (I think?) is closely related to the PFA program, NCWildlife stocks local ponds and even makes loaner tackle available, especially ot encourage kids to fish.
  • Some folks like to use GoogleEarth to look for ponds, then take the location back to the Registrar of Deeds to see who's responsible for the land, then place a cold phone call.
  • From what I read, if you're interested in fishing on military property, you'll probably need special permission from the base commander's office.
Good luck, and welcome to the NC angler community!
Lefty

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for info

Thanks for the info. :)

Anyone know anything about the pond at Mazarick Park? Just saw it on the webpage for Parks and Rec, lived here 17 years and have never heard of it.

I read on the webpage for Bragg that Personnel had to have a license. Trying to find out what a civilian needs to get this. Emailed em 3 days ago and have not heard anything back from them.

·
Registered
3,834 Posts
Everyone has to have a Fort Bragg License. The annual Fishing license in $25. You can go to the Hunting and Fishing center on McKellar's Road to get your permit. Sorry, I don't know anyone who fishes Mazerick Park. If I remember correctly about the only acces is a small pier that the City built on the lake.

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks again.

Thanks for all the info. Sure saved me some headache.

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
Coach D, the boys at AK McCallum's on Ramsey Street in Fayetteville are ALL about john boats... they'd be a excellent place to start for ideas and suggestion from them. Drop them a visit sometime,, you might be suprised (If you haven't been there already).

John boat/trollin motor fishin is some of the best type fishin around!! (and dont let Al or Forest hear me say this.. but cheap too!!) ;) Still wish I had my old Coleman Crawdad -10... my boy was scared to death of it, then someone stole my trollin motor off it when I left it at the pond during vacation last year... so I ended up sellin the boat.... :(

Best of luck! and Welcome back to FISHIN! :)

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Welcome Coach D--- I have long been aware of Ak McCallums and have sent many people by there. You can spend a couple hours on their boat yard without someone following you around. They have one of the largest inventories of jon boats that I know of. And like Dave said they are cheap-- Geat deals on trailers too.

Later, Forrest

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks

Thanks to all of you for your help. I should have been by Ak's already but they close so early (6 pm). I will make their place the next place I go.

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
I am reading all this and absorbing it Dave. By the way you earned yourself a bonito for the time you took with the reply to HB on the USCG 6pk License question. Hopefully the next trip to the coast will include a stop by AK's. I have an aunt near there that was highly upset that I didn't get by her place on my last trip to Topsail. Now I have a place to go if I try to suprise her and she isn't home.:)

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
Coach D, there are some wonderful streams in southeastern NC . You need to get crankin on that john boat. No small wonder AK's yard is full of johnboats. I can't think of a better place to be from if you like fishing streams. Don't overlook Little River that runs along the northern boundry of the base but by all means check out Lumber, Waccamaw, Black river, Six Runs Creek and North East Cape Fear River. I think you will find the scenery even better than the fishing. AL

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
Mike, It's a shame they don't hang around longer though. (the live ones) I guess they have to make room for the spanish and etc. Every species has its own little niche to exploit.
Coach, sorry about getting off track. You have some great exploring and fishing ahead. You might want to get you a digital camera if you don't have one already. Get those kids into the natural environment so they will respect and take care of it. It amazes me how few people understand the workings of nature.

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
No problem sinker

I have a phone with a camera on it that does pretty good as far as taking pictures and short videos. Can send these to myself (email).

That's one of the reasons that I am so willing to take my nephews and my little niece with me when I go some where that I know I don't have to worry about snakes about with them. They aren't outdoor aware enough to be around snakes.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.