NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, new to this board.... just been reading and you all seem like great people with lots of information. I live right by Jordan Lake, at the 751 / Hwy 64 split.

Just a few questions.... as I don't have a boat, do live close enough to the lake where I can walk down to the water. First question, I guess it is White Oak Creek that you pass over on 751 closest to HWY 64 right? I used to park over there and wade in the water exploring for turtles and snakes.

Anyways, if that is White Oak Creek (can't for the life of me remember, but pretty sure) I notice some boats coming out of the main part of the lake and going back down into that cove. Of course you can't go to far as it gets real shallow, but does anyone have any luck down there?

I am asking because where I can walk to it actually comes out to a nice spot almost at the mouth of the main part of the lake going into the area where you can hear traffic on 751. I hope I am explaining this alright.....

I have caught cat fish down there of course, but I went down there 2 days ago and caught a few real nice crappie.... one weighing in at just under 2 lbs.

I see all kinds of decent sized fish jumping chasing schools on shad, what are those? I would assume it is bass, but I caught a few cat fish on crappie minnows, but didn't think a cat would come up to the top for shad would they?

I really want to catch a striper, I can wade out pretty far, and get into some deep water.... what are the chances of catching a striper in that part of the lake? I would think pretty rare, but I want to know how rare.

Anymore info about this part of the lake would be really great, thanks and look forward to hearing from you guys.

Brian

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys.... I am sure someone can give me some information. I was just out there with a Rat-L-Trap but had no luck. I saw some fish jumping though, maybe I'll give it another try later on this evening.

·
Registered
5,593 Posts
Back of White Oak where 751 crosses would be not much more than a small creek with alot of brush may be a good area for panfish and maybe a few bass. No way stripers would go in there. You say that you often see boats on the main lake, this leads me to believe you are actually in the New Hope arm of the lake where 751 crosses and boats you are seeing are going into Morgan creek. Probably your best bet for catching stripers from the bank would be to go fish right under the dam. You may also be able to fish from the rip rap around the 64 bridge, I have heard this is a good striper area in the summer months. Keep in mind that stripers like cool water and usually stay pretty deep. As for the fish you are seeing jumping, they are most likley carp, they often inhabit the shallow flats. Tight Lines

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the reply.... the area by White Oak does have a lot of brush, but where I fish from the bank it is almost up at the top where the main part of the lake comes in. When I fished with a Rat-L-Trap yesterday it was real deep, but got pretty shallow quick.

Wouldn't you think since I was cathing some nice crappie that the water has to be fairly deep there? Hopefully a striper would come in there.... maybe a could get lucky with a top water very early in the AM with maybe a jitterbug?

Thanks for anymore info

·
Registered
5,593 Posts
The striper guys may know something I dont but I am pretty sure that stripers relate to the main river channel where the water is deeper (20 ft+). White Oak is relatively shallow. Probably averages less than 15 ft deep with most of it being less than 10.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you, I guess it is just wishful thinking, maybe something will come into one of those coves back there. I wouldn't be suprised if the water is only 15ft or so, but I was hoping it would be deeper closer to the main area of the lake. There are some areas where you can see just a hint of a possible sand bar poking out, but in other areas it "looks" deep.

·
Registered
2,748 Posts
Welcome on Brian, and Hotspot, Striper Sniper and Striper Junkie are definately guys to learn from for sure on striped bass.

I'm a saltwater guy... so cant help on freshwater.. but enjoy Jordan lake, fun to watch my boy catch fish up there.

Again, welcome on!

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
hey buddy when you go fishing you can catch some stripers from the bank. the only place where you could do this with some results is around the 64 bridge in the summer months. now unlike most lakes jordan is so different as to the fact that fish like cold water in jordan its just the opposite you will find that in jordan during the summer months most of the fish will be between 8 and 12 ft of water.sometimes they will be suppended out in the lake and sometimes they will be right up on the bank. but when fishing from the bank the best bet on catching a striper is at the 64 bridge and fish just out from the rocks. oh and what you are probably seeing back in the cove busting on shad is either white bass or white perch. that lake is full of them

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.