NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to learn more about kayak fishing. I belong to a new kayak group HRL Paddlers on High Rock Lake. Presently this is just a kayak excursion group, but hopefully we can form a spin off kayak fishing group. It's a great opportunity to meet a lot of great people and promote the sport of kayak fishing. Let me know if you are interested, we welcome all ages, so it's possible you could fish while part of the family participates in are free excursions, which should resume again in Mid April.

·
Registered
5,798 Posts
Welcome. You`re certainly in the right spot to learn. You don`t need anyone to teach you to yakfish but you`ll be a lot better, alot faster if you learn from others. Any kayak can be a fishing kayak. Just take a rod for starters. As you progress you`ll figure out what you need depending on you/how/ what you are after.
As a member of Hardcore Kayak Fishing Team I have no choice but to ask , Why are you waiting on April ? What does "resume" mean ?

Get out there.:D---------------stu

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
NCangler,

Since the water temperatures are around 45 degrees we halted kayaking excursions for safety reasons, since only a few of us have dry suits. I've been reading up on kayak fishing and have posted a few interesting videos on our site hrlpaddlers.com. We have some fisherman in the group, but none of us have attempted kayak fishing. My son and I like to catch large flat heads and they really don't start biting good until mid April. I plan to start with catch crappie first, to see how difficult it is landing a fish in the boat. I know the 30-50 lb flatheads will give us quite a ride in the kayak, so I want to be comfortable, so I don't lose any expensive reels. I'm not sure how I will keep shad alive, unless I float them in a circular container outside the boat. Any advice on how to land a big fish in a kayak will be appreciated. We always release them, but releasing them from a kayak will be a challenge, especially the large ones.

·
Registered
574 Posts
NCangler,

Since the water temperatures are around 45 degrees we halted kayaking excursions for safety reasons, since only a few of us have dry suits. I've been reading up on kayak fishing and have posted a few interesting videos on our site hrlpaddlers.com. We have some fisherman in the group, but none of us have attempted kayak fishing. My son and I like to catch large flat heads and they really don't start biting good until mid April. I plan to start with catch crappie first, to see how difficult it is landing a fish in the boat. I know the 30-50 lb flatheads will give us quite a ride in the kayak, so I want to be comfortable, so I don't lose any expensive reels. I'm not sure how I will keep shad alive, unless I float them in a circular container outside the boat. Any advice on how to land a big fish in a kayak will be appreciated. We always release them, but releasing them from a kayak will be a challenge, especially the large ones.
What are you paddling? I had a Tarpon 140 that I strapped a cooler to the back and used it for a livewell for a bass tournament. I just used a couple of portable aerators. Caught a six pounder and had it in there for over an hour with no problems. As for releasing the fish just be prepared to get wet and wrestle em into the boat. Or take the hook out while they are still in the water. Not too difficult if you're in a stable yak.

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.