NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My extended family has been making annual summer trips to Ocracoke Island from Kentucky since 1987. These trips over the years have included my parents, my brother, my sister, their spouses, and all of the grandkids and some of their friends. I usually rent a 24 foot boat while on Ocracoke and do quite a bit of fishing out in Ocracoke Inlet, Teaches Hole Channel, Wallace Channel, Blair Channel, etc. I joined this forum in the hopes to get some fishing pointers from you folks. The last few years, we've had a hard time catching very much. We used to catch a few keeper size flounder and blues, but the last few years have been real slow. I'd like some tips on catching Cobia, Puppy Drum, etc. I will be on Ocracoke the last week in July this year, usually not a very good time for catching mcuh of anything I am told. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
3,834 Posts
Welcome aboard Capt. Jack. I live a further inland and can't help you with fishing the OuterBanks But being a Kentucky native myself it' s great to have you here. Where in Kentucky do you live? Good Luck. I'm sure someone will be along to help you shortly.

·
Registered
709 Posts
Capt. Jack,
I know nothing of the area but if you read the thread titled "Going to Hatteress" you'll find some good info. on the whole area including Ocracoke. Hope this info. helps improve your fishing experience there. Another thing, the local tackle shops should be able to steer you in the right direction. Good Luck!
Gery

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Reactions: Capt_Jack

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
I don't know about your rental agreement but the best place for cobia and puppy drum from a boat would be the shoals up at Cape Hatteras. Failing that option take your pick of inlets and fish cut mullet and menhaden on the out going tides.

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
I just realized you are probably not renting a boat for the whole week. If not there are almost always some citation sized pompano and sea mullet caught the last week of july from the surf as well as some nice puppydrum and flounder. The trout, blues and spanish will normally be small that time of year. Like you said the numbers will be down but you can catch some noteworthy fish that week. I think cobia will be pretty slim pickens.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Welcome aboard Capt. Jack. I live a further inland and can't help you with fishing the OuterBanks But being a Kentucky native myself it' s great to have you here. Where in Kentucky do you live? Good Luck. I'm sure someone will be along to help you shortly.
Born and raised in the Louisville area (Valley Station). I now live just south of Louisville in Shepherdsville.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I don't know about your rental agreement but the best place for cobia and puppy drum from a boat would be the shoals up at Cape Hatteras. Failing that option take your pick of inlets and fish cut mullet and menhaden on the out going tides.
I usually have the boat for 5 days. Our rental house is on a canal with a dock at the rear. I won't be going all the way up to Hatteras Inlet. I will be fishing in Ocracoke Inlet.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.