NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Red X Angler
11,444 Posts
Quote: Would like to meet up with anyone from the area and hit the water! Quote:

We can do that, I work a 4/5 day schedule so I get 2 weekends off and the 2 weekends on. I love to fish weekdays but it is hard to find people to fish with, what is your sch. Where do you put in at most of the time? I fish Hickory, Kerr Scott, and Rhodhiss from the boat and the yak depending on who is along and the weather I have been thinking about floating a stretch or two of Johns River this spring, and Ray Wells is planning a Yadkin float later in April from Kerr Scott.

Search "Kerr Scott" There is a big Meet and Greet weekend coming up on May 1,2,3 at Bandits Roost Campground Kerr Scott has good kayak water, they will also do the Yadkin float on the 2nd. It would be a good time to meet a lot of the guys from the area and points farther away.

Darrell

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote: Would like to meet up with anyone from the area and hit the water! Quote:

We can do that, I work a 4/5 day schedule so I get 2 weekends off and the 2 weekends on. I love to fish weekdays but it is hard to find people to fish with, what is your sch. Where do you put in at most of the time? I fish Hickory, Kerr Scott, and Rhodhiss from the boat and the yak depending on who is along and the weather I have been thinking about floating a stretch or two of Johns River this spring, and Ray Wells is planning a Yadkin float later in April from Kerr Scott.

Search "Kerr Scott" There is a big Meet and Greet weekend coming up on May 1,2,3 at Bandits Roost Campground Kerr Scott has good kayak water, they will also do the Yadkin float on the 2nd. It would be a good time to meet a lot of the guys from the area and points farther away.

Darrell
Thanks everyone for the welcome!

Darrell I can work with your schedule with no problem. I'm retired from the Army so with a couple days notice I can go whenever you want. Lake Hickory is the only water I've fished and only a couple of times at that. I was mostly trying to get used to the kayak. I think it would be great to try other waters too. Just PM me and maybe we can get something set up.

·
Red X Angler
3,800 Posts
Get your post count up just a little to make sure to enable PM's. Darrell is as fine a fellow as you'll meet, and you've found a great community here.

Welcome to NCAngler!

Reactions: Drifter56 and dbeam

·
Red X Angler
11,444 Posts
I am pretty busy till after the daughters wedding the first of May but I am sure we can make a trip somewhere.

The "where to fish" section of the NCWRC website has an interactive map with access sites marked all over the state, some my favorites in the area are
Oxford Landing near Hwy 16 you can access some great areas by going up river from the landing, without the need to cross the lake.
Whittenburg Landing near Hwy 127 is a good landing and has some good fishing spots in the landing cove and some piers and sea walls to fish by paddling upriver about a 1/2 mile.

Gunpowder Landing off of Grace Chapel Road is great for yak fishing, much less traffic than on the main lake. fish the piers in the cove east of the landing and the points going out toward the main lake, (across from the landing) If you paddle all of the way up creek you come to and old dam, not my usual fishing spot but it is a good paddle and some pretty scenery.

Lion Road Landing on Lookout Shoals is a good spot to put in as well. with great fishing close by.

And least, but not last is the Old Mill Pond on Falls Road just east of Granite Falls. Primitive dirt landing and Parking lot pull off of the road slowly it was pretty washed out when I was there last, but it is ideal yak waters.

I am probably going out with tarbilly Thursday when he gets off of work, If you don't mind standing to fish, we can make room in the boat if you want to tag along.

When it warms up some I would like to fish a stretch of Johns River if your interested, no intell on conditions though I haven't floated it in 15 years or more.

Darrell

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for all those locations. I'm not ready for cold water just yet I'm still trying how to figure out to dress for cold water. Daughter getting married, I know your hands busy. Like I said my time is pretty much open. We can still work around your schedule. That's no problem. I live on the NW side of town, about a mile or two past the Christan Academy. Looking forward to getting together.

Brian

·
Red X Angler
11,444 Posts
Did you get the PM I sent! I am not sure how many posts you have to make to get PMs If you didn't let me know and I will send again. you must be getting close to the magic number.

Darrell

·
Red X Angler
11,444 Posts
Comes out of the mountains above Collettesville, catches Wilson Creek a mile or so after Colletsville. Goes under Hwy 18 just East of Morganton and joins the Catawba about a mile after Hwy 18.

Crummy, sounds good late June, Early July. Where should we put it/take out.

Darrell

·
Red X Angler
11,444 Posts
I used to float from a bridge above Colletsville to 18 but that was two people in a canoe and a stop for a picnic only and it still took most of the day. I was thinking either from Playmore to 18 or maybe just to the water gauge. Or Colletsville to the Water gauge. What about starting at the Old Brown Mountain Campground I remember paddling back up Wilson to the campground once but I can't remember what the water looked like.

What do you think.

Darrell

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.