NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

New to fishing here in the Greensboro/Winston area. I must say Bass fishing is all I am really into. Grew up in the Northern Va area mainly fishing the Potomac area and reservoir. Fished a few small local tournaments and as far south as Kerr and Gaston. Early 20's moved to central Florida where I quickly got into fishing also. I have been pretty much been off the water for the last 20 years and decided it was time to get back in it. I just recently purchased a older 20ft Procraft and am ready to burn some gas.

I'm minutes away from Belews so I know I will be spending some time on it. I've also been told I have to hit Randleman and Badin Lake. Since I'm closest to Belews, can anyone tell me about it?

Also I would be interested in doing some evening/night tournaments. I heard there are a few that go on. If anyone wants to go fishing and show me around, let me know.

I'll be doing a lot of reading here on NCAngler!

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Welcome. Kernersville is my hometown. I'm now in Raleigh. I also lived in northern VA after college. broncotwisterjim is often on Belews, search for posts by him and you'll see a few reports.

I'm not a bassboat or tournament guy, but you'll find several who are.

High Rock is another option for you. It's above Badin on the Yadkin river chain.

·
Red X Angler
11,228 Posts
Welcome to the site, Glad you have joined us Ditto on FW's recomendation to search for post by broncotwisterjim. When you get somemore posts in you can send him a PM

If you ever want to venture to the Catawba Chain let me know.

Darrell

·
Red X Angler
3,772 Posts
Ah... Belews. The enigma wrapped in a mystery! I fish Belews from about late October / November till about mid March. Once Randleman opens it's hard for me motivate to go to Belews. ;) Spring and Summer, I can't tell you much except what I have heard. If you fish during the day, boat traffic is the biggest obstacle, and many who fish during summer fish at night or wee hours of the morning. It's got some quality fish, but trophies are unusual. However, 2 to 4 pounders are not unusual, and your odds go up substantially if you fish with Jim (Bronchotwisterjim, or BTJ). Jim's first love is saltwater, though, so I don't know how often he fishes at Belews this time of year. Once you make some more posts, do a search for 'Belews' and you'll find some posts from several people, he and I included, on the lake - mostly concerning Fall to early Spring. (My avatar picture was from Belews this past February).

Badin is a really good bass lake. Some people like High Rock but to be honest, I personally drive the few minutes extra to go to Badin. Randleman I guess I would call my home lake. I live in High Point but I fish Randleman a lot, once you get enough posts to no longer need moderation and can use PM's, fire me one and I'll give you some pointers if I can.

You are also near some smaller lakes that get a lot of pressure but have some nice fish... Kernersville, Salem, High Point City, Oak Hollow, the Greensboro city lakes of Townsend, Brandt, and Higgins. I know a little about HPCL but not much about the others. Townsend's bass reputation is few but quality. HP City Lake is moody, but there are some pigs in there, too. Jerry Condrey knows a lot about the local lakes in this area as well, he's a very knowledgeable fisherman about many of the above mentioned waters... he likes Brandt better than the other two G'boro lakes, and knows a whole lot about HP City.

I'm usually in an old 1999 white Sea Pro center console with a cut away bow rail that has faded tennis balls on the ends of it, if you're ever at Randleman and you see me, flag me down and tell me you're from NCAngler. :D

Keep poking around. There is a lot of good info on this site, and there are a lot of really good quality people here. Welcome to NCAngler!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I obviously need to get over to Randleman. Where's the closest place to put in at coming from K-ville? I also heard it's "sectioned off" depending on engine size? With that said, I'd want to put in where there are no restrictions.

Can you fish after dark on Randleman? I love summer night fishing!

Thank you all for the welcome!

·
Red X Angler
3,772 Posts
Randleman has the main marina where you can launch a regular boat (or any boat) with any engine size. There is a lake speed limit that goes essentially ignored by most. :( That launch is on a service road that runs parallel to Highway 220; take the Level Cross exit off 220 and turn right, then left to keep going South. It's a mile or two down on the right.

The other section is accessed through Southwest Park on the very North end of the lake. It is electric motor only; nothing with an engine or fuel tank can access it. From the gas engine side, you are not allowed above the Hwy 62 bridge with an engine.

Randleman is a munincipal lake and is subject to lake hours. During this time of year they close at 8pm which means you are required to be off-water by 730. They open at 6am.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you.. Going to have to skip of a day of work and head out there soon! I'm sure it's probably packed on the weekends?

·
Registered
4,537 Posts
Welcome to the site! I grew up fishing all the lakes here, and know them fairly well. In my opinion, Randleman and Badin are the best in this area. Belews is good, and very clear. Use lighter line there I am told. Badin is no doubt the best bass lake around in Spring and Fall especially. High Rock is good too. Tuckertown used to be one of my faves, but the invasive "snot grass" makes it hard to fish plastics weighted, like t rigs and c rigs.
High Point City Lake is a small lake that allows ten hp motors or less to be used. You can take a bass boat in there, but do not drop your big motor. The lake has a good population of quality bass, and many top six pounds and more. My home waters.lol

·
Registered
644 Posts
Welcome to the site! Im over in the Burlington area so if you ever want to do any exploring over my way give me a shout.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts