NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I'm new to this forum. I live in Cumming, GA, about 40 miles N of Atlanta. I'm just getting back to fly fishing after about 20 years. I retired a couple years ago and don't want to see all my gear just sit there, thought I wonder just how good my waders, vests and other items were, since they all shrunk since the last time I used them.

I joined the TU Chapter in Dahlonega, GA. We are planning an outing to Appletree Campground up near Nantahala Lake in April. We will be there for 2-3 days. I'm scouring the Forum to see what I can learn about the area.

Thanks

Jack-K5FSE
Cumming GA

·
Red X Angler
11,230 Posts
Welcome to the site. Glad you have joined us. Lots of trout water in the park, as well as Hatchery Waters in the area. Google Smokey Mountain trout for info on the park. Cherokee is also fairly close goggle will turn up lots of info about Cherokee fishing as well.

Have a great time.

Darrell

·
Registered
9,996 Posts
Welcome to the site. Fly fisher here also, but just started learning when I retired 6 years ago. That's quite a coincidence about items shrinking. Same thing is happening with me.
Have you fished the stream in Helen GA? Went there just to check it out before I ever learned to fly fish or even catch a stream trout. Met a guy there who said he would be fishing that stream the next morning. That was the morning I was leaving. Saw him in the stream, he saw me and held up his stringer of trout. He had told me the day before that that stream was his favorite.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
As I said, I'm just getting back into fly fishing. I've been through Helen a number of times, and have watched people wading through the river going through town. It's on my list of places to go. I have a tube, pontoon and just got a kayak, but haven't really used them yet. I was going to a small lake to do a shake down cruse with the kayak, but snow/ice is putting a crimp in my plans

Jack-K5FSE
Cumming Ga

·
Registered
9,996 Posts
Jack, it has been about 10 years since I've been to Helen. Not sure if the fishing is as good now as the guy told me it was at that time. The motel my wife and I stayed in was right on the stream. I could have thrown a rock and hit it easily. That was during one of the warmer months. During the day, from just before noon, people would float by on tubes.
Something funny about the guy I talked to. He was on his honeymoon, and looked to be in his 30s. I asked what his new wife thought about him fishing. He told me she was OK with it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.