NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everybody, my family and I usually fish the CBBT on our Virginia Beach vacation, we would like to fish in North Carolina, is there any good fishing stops not too far from there? any place to fish shark? any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
Welcome to the site. Sure there is. Give me an idea of just what kind of tackle we are talking and pier or surf. I used to fish there back in the Late 70's early 80's for shark every weekend during the summer. I'll try and get you some up to date info but I'm sure it isn't as wide open as it used to be. Also no guarantees that you will even get a bite. The big ones are pretty sporadic; but trust me they do get big.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Welcome Dogkrazy99! A lot of folks go down to our outerbanks from VA to fish. a lot of the kreel and size limits are more stringent in VA.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi, sorry about not getting back sooner, computer problems., how much is the fish license? We usually fish from CBBT pier, (you could say we live on it, go back to shower, quick dip in the ocean and back out, lol), so pier or surf would be good. We have a variaty of different tackle and the boys are always looking for a excuse to by more. Thanks for all the quick responses, and for any other information.

·
Registered
17,131 Posts
Most of our piers have a blanket license so if you stick to pier fishing you won't need an individual license. But if you do go surf fishing or in the waterway, make sure you get the Coastal Recreational Fishing License. A ten day non-resident license will cost you $10.

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
I'm pretty sure the Nags Head Pier and the Outer Banks Pier in South Nags Head still allow shark fishing. Most other piers either discourage it or post rules against it. I will tell this on myself. Take it for what it's worth .... After I found out what it is like waitting and waiting for the big one with a lot of effort invested; the thrill of fight quickly turns into a real big headache when you land one. Shark flesh deteriorates rapidly if not bleed and ice immediately. You can not drive on the beach up by the piers in the peak of shark season. This means if he is beached you have to haul him over the dunes which is easier done in big chunks rather than whole. All of the sudden you realize you are 6 coolers short and nobody wants any shark meat. You will here all kinds of excuses from people that claim to love it. You also need a 40 gal or larger container just for the guts. You don't want to be a jerk and leave those on the beach!!! Now days you also need to be able to Identify a shark before you know if it is legal to take him or not. In the old days the identification was done after you landed him and there was often a debate about what species it was.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.