NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just found this forum and it looks great. I use to fish years ago a lot, then got into powerlifting and went another direction. In the last year, I gave up lifting weights due to injuries and time. It came down to buying a motorcycle or boat and we purchased a pontoon boat 240 bentley fish. I know it is NOT the ideal fishing boat, but curious to if anyone on here fishes via a pontoon? We have been fishing Belews Lake this whole summer and it has been brutal. I think I have only caught about 3 bass all summer long! The one time I did some catfishing, I had better luck. My wife after about 3 months of watching me cast out, finally asked me to buy her a rod....so I am hoping the action will pick up when it gets cooler. I have heard the early year and later year fishing in Belews is great. My fishing now consist of anchoring down in coves, until I can get a trolling motor. Just wanted to stop by and say HELLO and thank everyone for the info. Great site and happy fishing to you all!

Be Blessed, Mike
Luke 9:23

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
welcome to the site mlovelace, how are things going. i think you will find this site very interesting and helpful, any questions you have will probably be answered by someone on here.

·
Premium Member
7,911 Posts
Welcome Mike!

I say the ideal fishing boat is whichever one you're fishing on, so if this one gets you and family and friends out on the water, then its ideal enough for me. Lots of times I wanted to take more people than I could haul on mine when a pontoon would have been a great answer. I went the other direction though when I sold mine - Fishing Kayaks. I needed the exercise...

You might try some open water trolling/drifting as an change of pace from parking in coves until you get that T-motor. Find a couple of intersections of major creeks and the main lake channel and slow drag small Shad Raps about 75 yards behind the boat - its been working great for me on schooling fish here in the Triangle this summer and you've got the perfect platform for it.

Hope to hear more from you and others in the 'toon crowd...

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
Welcome aboard Mike. To me there is no better boat to fish a big reservoir from. I've never been one to go blasting off 10 miles down the lake to try and catch a couple more. When I move it is usually no more than a a quarter mile. Pontoons suit my style.
I've got a name suggestion for your boat.... BIG E Z.

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
Pontoon make a fantastic catfisher! All the comforts of home and plenty of room to move around... You can hang rod holders all over that thing and make it look like a giant spider coming at ya!! Drift fishing, or fishing dropoffs/channels is ideal for Cats and Stripers..

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.