NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yep, also known as "Little Rhody". I like to pop in here from time to time as this is a great site and I like to see it grow. The reminder at the top, err, reminded me to actually post and say something, so here I am...

Anyway, keep stretching your lines and be good to the stripers when we give them back to you in a few months :D

Thanks!

John

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Surfcaster, trapped in a Boaters Body

·
Registered
121 Posts
I hear there are some mullet around there right now ;) - Though I was at Q last night with acres of busting fish and many shredded eels...

I'll probably be at Watch Hill (or Naps) later this week, can say hello for you ;)
There never seems to be enough eels striper fishin' ;) The old McDonald's straws made awesome striper lures...something that I don't ever remember seeing down here. Please say "hi" for me as its been too many years.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
There never seems to be enough eels striper fishin' ;) The old McDonald's straws made awesome striper lures...something that I don't ever remember seeing down here. Please say "hi" for me as its been too many years.
Interesting - never heard of the straws... Though Bluefish will eat (almost) anything - I watched one attack a 16 oz pepsi bottle for 20 minutes

Was at Weekapaug Overlook area last night - decent bass blitz until the Moon rose 20 degrees and turned it to all Blues :eek:

·
Registered
121 Posts
Interesting - never heard of the straws... Though Bluefish will eat (almost) anything - I watched one attack a 16 oz pepsi bottle for 20 minutes
We would run a wire leader through the straw with a hook at the end. The straws with the brown and yellow stripes seemed to work much better than the red stripes. This was a common Connecticut striper lure...surprised that it didn't make it over to RI.

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
The Mc Donald's traw rig is more poular in Florida but it is used in North Carolina also. It has RED and yellow stripes though. I think the pearl white color and the size is what makes it the best straw to use. I have noticed the stripes are wider on the MC Donald's straws also. Down this way and on around to Tx. they are used with a 30lb mono leader about 30" long. A large clear plastic casting bubble is partially filled with water for casting weight and the bubble is splashed across the top. The straw sinks very slow and Spanish can't resist it. I use xxlong 2/0 hooks on my rigs. Try to match the length to the current size of the anchovies (glass minnows) and you will really catch them.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.