NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everybody,

I'm a crappie enthusiast who knows a little about crappie fishing but not a whole lot. Does that make sense. I grew up fishing Ky Lake and went back there last year with a guide and brought back a cooler full. Now I'm in Waynesville, NC and I can't find anyone who fishes or even guides for crappie on the lakes here in the mountains. I'm most intersted in Fontana where I'm told there are a lot of crappie, nobody is fishing for them, but they are hard to find and hard to catch because the lake is so deep and the water level is always fluctuating so much...................messing with the spawn, etc. Any thoughts?

Rob

·
Registered
493 Posts
Re: Hello

Welcome Roblough! Crappie, those tasty slabs of white flesh. Those mountain lakes are deep, cold, and clear according to one of our fishing buddies. Smallies, trout, and walleyes are the species of choice I understand. However, you might not be able to find a guide, but if you find a outfitting shop, like Lowes, in Waynesville, they can probably put you on to someone who knows. I would try that and then maybe a shop in Asheville, or Wilson Creek Outfitters in Morganton. If all that fails, head on over to the east cause there are plenty of slabs out here.;)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Thanks for the info, Slowriser. Luv your name, it fits me too. Don't get me wrong, I'll never cut my line just because there's a smallie, trout or walleye on the other end. There's just something about those slab crappie, especially when I think about
'em covered in cornmeal, salt & pepper in my deep fryer!

·
Registered
2,766 Posts

Welcome aboard. One way to go about it is to build you some crappie beds and plant them at various depths so that you can find them and fish the ones that are at the depth the fish are holding at. Find a deep water drop off that is easy to locate to use as your own lake level indicator . Say the depth to the dropoff is 50' at full pond and today it is only 38'. Today the lake is 12' below full pond and the crappie are holding at 18'. You would fish the beds that you planted in 30' at full pond. You need to check the state and local regulations out before doing this though because some states and lake owners frown on it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.