NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I moved to Durham a couple of months ago from Fort Worth, TX. I am originally from the N. Ky area. I have visited the parks and lakes but when I get my fishing license, would like to hit some of the hot spots. Where and when would be the best places? I am interested in fly fishing but don't know very much about it yet. Any local classes, clubs or best places to learn? I do not have a very big budget for tackle and supplies so any suggestions where to purchase some inexpensives tackle and learning materials are much appreciated.
Thanks and have a great time fishing! :)
whatacatch

·
Premium Member
7,911 Posts
Hey whatacatch - if we haven't already welcomed you in, then "Welcome In!!"

I'm not much of a fly fisherman. I have a ragged old rig and a couple panfish poppers, but hardly ever break it out. I can't recommend anything, but I did find the following:

As best I can tell the market is broken up into 2 segments - dirt cheap like Wal-Mart &Dicks and high-end like the Orvis store at Triangle Town Center in Raleigh, and Great Outdoor Provision. Not sure what Orvis offers in the way of instruction, but GOPC advertises group fly fishing classes and private instruction.

The Paddle Creek canoe and kayak shop at the Falls Lake Dam was taken over last year by a fly fishing guy and he's stocking some gear - lots of flies and a rack or two of rods & reels. His initial batch of equipment was high-end, but he may have increased his stock since I last looked. They suggested that they would be trying to put together some introductory kayak fly fishing outings. Would be worth a check to see if what kinds of fly instruction they can offer - Raleigh Durham Chapel Hill NC Kayak Canoe Outfitters &Neuse River Rentals.

There used to be a specialty fly shop in Durham, I think in the Woodcroft shopping center. Can't find them anywhere on google, which doesn't bode well.

I did find Triangle Fly Fishers: Home, a local trout unlimited chapter - meets monthly at the Durham County Wildlife Club (DCWC) in RTP off Hopson Road.

Hope this helps, and I hope somebody more knowledgeable than me pipes up with some recommendations.

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
It'll be about a 2 hour ride but it sure is a nice place. Keep checking the fly fishing area they have these about 3 or 4 times a year for different species.

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
Well worth the ride I 'd bet!

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Welcome whatacatch! I work in down town Durham and when I get the chance I fish the Eno and Flat rivers. Usually slip away for a little while at lunch.

Mark

·
Registered
493 Posts
Hello and welcome whatacatch. I can't speak for the clinic in fayetteville, but Orvis post a schedule of events and it encompasses clinics and all kinds of Fly Fishing activities and opportunities. They are very pricey but you can still just go through the store for free. Like my Grandpa used to say, "it don't cost nothing to read the menu or window shop."

·
Registered
249 Posts
There used to be a specialty fly shop in Durham, I think in the Woodcroft shopping center. Can't find them anywhere on google, which doesn't bode well.
There is a shop on Fayetteville Rd in Durham, just north of the Southpoint Mall called Martyn's Sea and Stream. Here's the google map

Is this the one you are thinking of Jeff? I haven't been in there, I discovered it when my girlfriend was shopping at a fancy card/paper store in the same plaza. It was closed when I was there, but it has a "Fly Fishing" neon sign in the window so I assume the owner might be a good resource for Triangle area fly fishermen. I've been meaning to get back there and check it out.....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.