NC Angler Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently decided to buy a rod & reel and get into fishing. I always go to lakes and see people sitting there fishing and I always wanted to try it out so I finally pulled the trigger.

I bought a pretty basic 6'6" rod and spinner reel with a little tackle box and some bait that said it was good for fresh water fishing. I have no idea what I'm doing but I figured I'd learn. Many google searches brought me to this site so I figured I'd register.

Looking forward to learning. The biggest question mark right now has been what to do if I catch a fish and if I am permitted to take it home then what do I do with a live fish at home?! So you can see, much to learn!

·
Red X Angler
7,806 Posts
IF it's legal/ethical to take home most folks would be having it for dinner. You might wanna learn to clean a fish if/when this notion arises. Good luck and welcome!

Sent from my kayak...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks all. I've been reading and reading…and reading. :) The first thing I did do was take note of lakes surrounding me that specifically said you have to catch and release; Crabtree due to pollution, for example. I've been reading and watching what I can about cleaning fish as well. I'm going to be in SC this weekend where I'll fish for my first time since I was a kid. We'll see what happens. I just want to have some fun. A buddy of mine said I should scream like a girl (because I am), it will help me get the help I need.

·
Red X Angler
3,749 Posts
I was going to suggest updating your profile to indicate where you live, but you already did at least a little. If you don't yet feel comfortable with giving your town, at least put Triangle area or something in there; it gives those in your area a little heads-up as to whether they can help you.

Once you have made enough posts to enable PM's, look for posts from folks in your area and send them a message. Despite my initial hesitation doing it, I have met and fished with a good number of folks on this site... and I can tell you that the quality of people here is unparalleled, and although that's not uncommon for fishermen and fisherwomen, it's really uncommon for the internet.

I am not in your area (if you're near Crabtree), but if you have questions you are welcome to PM me. I doubt any of the folks who post regularly about fishing in that area would object to the same.

Don't give up. Trial and error can be good teachers, but other anglers are just WAY faster. Welcome to fishing, and welcome to NCAngler!

·
Red X Angler
11,227 Posts
Welcome to the site and the hobby that makes up a large part of our world. I think you will find both of them a blessing.

Darrell

·
Red X Angler
11,227 Posts
Lots of great water and people in you area, if you use the search bar using the names of water in your area you will find some good posts. There is also a bank fishing section in the forums.
You can also see the number of posts and join date for members in the site. If or when your comfortable with it, you might want to try to meet up with anglers that are fishing the places your interested in it is always easier to learn some tricks by spending some time fishing with others that have more experience.

Darrell

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I figured I'd post here instead of starting a new thread since I assume it is not super exciting to an experience fisherman(person). I was able to go to Lake Moultrie over the weekend and had a chance to fish yesterday. I was fortunate enough to be standing next to a gentleman on the dock who was very helpful in teaching me to cast into the lake. I tried it twice on my own while he was fishing and instead of ignoring me or laughing (two very possible outcomes), he walked over and helped me. I appreciate people who are willing to take time to help someone out.

I was using a worm so he explained to me the best way to attract a fish. He explained a little about my reel and what not to do so I could avoid the bird's nest with my line. He was fishing for catfish and using night crawlers. He said he was fishing from the bottom and explained what that meant as well.

I was not out there long as I had to make my way back home to NC, but it was great. I left just after a very inconsiderate man on a SeaDoo drove up right to the dock 5' from our lines to talk to his buddies. At that point I figured it would be a while before any possible fish would return, if they were there, and figured it was a great time for me to pack up and go.

I feel like I am already hooked. I can't wait to keep trying. I do need to read up on bait and be sure I have the appropriate bait for what I want to fish. All in all, the best part of the experience so far was the help I received from the kind man on the dock who really made it possible for me to even get my bait in the water!

·
Red X Angler
11,227 Posts
lots of great people out there fishing along with a few that are not. Enjoy the good ones and try to ignore the bad ones.

If a lake has heavy traffic boats even in close do not bother the fish for any length of time. The biggest LMB I have ever caught on Hickory came off of one side of a dock while people were sliding down into the water and had a BOOM box playing wide open on the floating pier.

Keep after them, one of these days you will have one of those days that keeps all of us coming back after them.

Darrell

·
Red X Angler
3,749 Posts
Jet skiers are the bane of anglers' existence. Half the time they just don't realize or think about what they are doing... many of them are probably not anglers and just don't know, other half are just inconsiderate. Darrell is right though, lakes with lots of boat traffic habituate the fish to boat traffic... the fish don't care, especially near a dock where they see boats come and go all the time. If it's a place where people dump their leftover bait before they trailer up, an approaching boat can sometimes even *attract* fish because they can learn to associate it with food. Ever seen a duck follow a boat or approach people on the shore? They should be afraid but they have learned where they get fed. Also, if you're fishing from shore on a lake, find out where the common tournament weigh-ins take place... every weekend there are large numbers of people's very best catches being released there, and not many people fish boat ramps because it's human nature to 'launch-and-leave.' Launch ramp areas can be little gems sometimes.

Keep after them, one of these days you will have one of those days that keeps all of us coming back after them.
Boy, is that the truth!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts