NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im looking to buy my first baitcast set up, i need something that will cover a variety of lures and techniques till i get money to buy another. i was thinking maybe a 6-8 worming rod and not sure what kinda reel to get, any suggestions.:D

·
Registered
17,058 Posts
If this is your first maybe it would be better to buy a combination setup. Rod and reel that are matched together. :rolleyes:

Seen a lot of guys buy this setup and never use it, backlashs are going to happen, don't care what the box says. You can go thru a lot of money on good quality rods and reels. Get something that feels good and is your price range. If your buying at a respectable store get the saleperson to let you try different set ups with different rod and reels, this way you'll have part of the sorting out process.

not all rod and reels are equal.

Tight lines <*{{{{{>{

·
Registered
11 Posts
Get a reel with the most bearings that you can afford. Bearings affect the smoothness of the reel as well as the durability. Don't be afraid of the "combos" as mentioned above offered at Bass Pro Shops and Cabelas. The better you get with a baitstick, the more you'll be able to determine what you like and don't in a setup, then you can spend the $400 on a reel and $250 on a rod!

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
CoreyAtCastaway (Castaway Fishing Supply Co., a site Sponsor) fixed me up with my first baitcasting combo -- a Pinnacle Extant reel on an Okuma rod. I've been very pleased with that setup.

One of his recommendations that's been worth its weight has been to spool the reel with flouro line. It's a bit more firm than mono, and lots more firm than braid, so when it backlashes (not "if"), it's easier to get undone.

It looks like you're lots closer to Smithfield than I am; you might swing by his store sometime. He sells second-hand gear as well, so you might be able to find a deal that might surprise you.

Reactions: mypetmunkey

·
Premium Member
7,911 Posts
Check out the feel of both the low profile and round reels on your exact rod if possible - otherwise at least on a rod with the same reel seat. You'll want the one that feels the most natural and controllable in your hand and you'll want a good marriage between the seat, handle and reel for your hand size.

6-8 is a specialty length - probably not available in anything but higher end rods. Probably going to be very light, so you may want to pay attention to the actual weight of the reel (for the most part better ones are made of lighter materials, and low profile will be lighter than round).

For years the Shimano Curado was the benchmark for price/performance/durability at $129 (often on sale for $99). They changed the design a couple years ago to larger gears and gear housing - pretty sure they lost some of their loyal following with that move, even though it made the reel technically better. Of the casters I've owned, I've had the best experience with Abu's in the sub-$100 range, Shimano and Daiwa in the $150+ range. Those biggest name brands are easier to get parts and service on than the store-brand reels.

I do like the externally adjustable magnetic spool control in addition to the internal brakes and the spool tension knob - makes it easier to get dialed-in as you learn the reel and as you change lure sizes.

I know there are at least a couple of baitcaster reviews on the Reviews link from the menu - might be worth a look.

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
Be sure and pick up a crochet hook from a craft shop or "wally world". The little hook comes in handy picking out backlashes...LOL!

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
I got a pflueger bait casting combo about 3-4 years ago from dicks sporting goods. It was a pflueger reel with an all-star rod. I have had it 4 years and it had only backlashed twice to where I had to cut any line. (One time I went back to cast and caught my lure in a tree) I prefer to use the cajun red line on it and it works great. Pretty decently priced as well.

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
I've been very pleased with the Pfleuger spinning reel I got at Dick's... there's a review in the Reviews section... if it's any indication of their other reels, I'd recommend them...

·
Registered
167 Posts
Hey there, if your looking for a good starter baitcaster this is one you can't go wrong with. This is one that I started out with and have had no problems with it. Its great for spinnerbaits, crainks, and if your looking a pitching a bit I suppose it would do just fine. Keep in mind though that a flipping rod compared to a spinner/craink type rod should be a bit more stout. I'd look into a 6'6" to 7' medium action rod and that would be versitale enough for everthing. The main focus though is the reel and this is a nice reel. G'luck and tight lines.

Pflueger Echelon Low-Profile Baitcast Reel

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
i concur that the pflueger echelon is a great "cheap" baitcaster -- i've had 2 of them, and they've performed flawlessly so far. for a few bucks more, the BPS extreme baitcaster is also a great "cheap" reel -- casts a mile, smooth & quiet, decent drag (at least at first -- drag washers do seem to wear quickly). wally world now carries a couple of different low-end pinnacle baitcasters that i've heard great things about.

one imp qualification for all these reels: if you need work on them after a couple of years (e.g., drag washers replaced), you may have trouble finding parts and getting local service. BPS has its own reel service, so you could prob. send the reels back to them for servicing. the classic round Abu-Garcia reels are great on this front -- you can buy replacement parts & upgrades easily on eBay and elsewhere.

another issue: if you plan to take these reels in saltwater (e.g., drum fishing), that complicates things. the bearing on these freshwater BPS reels will rust quickly if exposed to salt (in my experience). i believe the pfleuger reels are supposed to have double-shielded bearings, so that should help discourage corrosion (altho i don't think the echelon otherwise has any special salt/corrosion protection). if you use any of these reels in salt, wash 'em out thoroughly and immediately in warm fresh water.

FWIW, Joel

·
Registered
224 Posts
My wife bought me 2 baitcast reels for x-mas this year. One being the Diawa Megaforce Twitchin' 100tsh, the other being the Quantum Escalde (specifically made for Dicks Sporting goods I believe). The Diawa was 59.99 and the Quantum was 69.99. Both reels are great. I am bit partial to the Diawa because it has the twitchin bar. Both reels cast a mile when you finally get them dialed in, and I feel both are equally smooth on the retrieve. Hope this gives you a bit of insight. 2 great reels for not a bad price if you ask me.:)

·
Registered
852 Posts
I never cared for baitcast reels, now I have two Abu 5501 reels that I really like (also like that I can crank with my left hand like my spinning gear). They adjust well for a decent sized crank bait or even carolina rig and my thumb just seems to fit well onto the spool for thumbing it. Spooled with 20lb Power Pro and so far I have managed not to have any back lashes. I do not try to throw light lures with it though, which seems to be one of the causes of backlashing. Mostly I am tossing around an ounce or so and really use them for bottom fishing and light trolling most often.

Medium weight Ugly Sick rods, 6' length.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
I had always used spinning gear until 5 years ago. I started with a couple of cheaper reels and rods from Wally World. I thought I'd never get the hang of casting without a backlash. After a few months using these I started looking to upgrade. I lucked out and got 2 Curado reels when Wal-mart closed them out (69.00). I love these reels and they are much easier to cast than my cheaper starters. If money is a concern, try watching Wal-mart for close outs. Also get to the Bass Pro during Spring Fling the end of this month. They usually offer good savings on reels and combos.

·
Registered
3,834 Posts
There have been alot of improvements in baitcasters in the past several years and there are alot of manufacturers that have a very good baitcaster in their product offerings. Some metioned a Pinnacle Extant which has 9 stainless steel bearings. I have one of these reels and I like it very much and for around $60 i think that it is a very good buy. However, as someone else mentioned the Shimano Curado has been the yardstick of quality in the baitcasting realm. This real only has four bearings. There's a whole marketing thing at work here about the number of bearings that makes a reel better and it's all hype and borders on deceptive in my opinion. What makes a good reel is the quality of the bearings, anything more bearing in a reel than say maybe 4 or 5 is basically ineffectual. You could add 50 bearing to a fishing reel if you but if they are the quality of Daisy BB Steel then the reel will not operate smoothly. I not intending to attack anyone's choice in fishing reels as I said before there are alot of very good reels on the market and to each his own. I am simply challenging the whole it takes a lot of bearings idea. If you reel is not a smooth as you like BOCA Bearing makes quality bearings for fishing reels and they are suprisingly inexpensive. Boca Bearings - Miniature Bearings for Hobby&Industry

My personal perfverence are the Shimano products for the smoothness and qulaity also there are some mail in rebates on Shimano for as much as $50 right now.

·
Registered
87 Posts
A good thumb can go a looong way!!!;) For some reason the Quantum Kevin VanDam baitcast series has been really good to me. It seems like whenever I want to make repetitive long cast that reel does the best - it is smooth and makes zero weird noises, which makes me believe it's gonna continue to work. I believe it's around $90 at Bass Pro Shops, but it has probably been on sale for less. That's my 2 pennies. Good Luck!

·
Registered
5,795 Posts
From what i have read from everyone is right on the money, but keep in mind what you will using the reel to fish for, Now for me if i fish a buzzbait i want a high speed Reel (7.3.1) for cranks baits i like a (6.2.1) ratio. and for slow rolling a spinnerbait i like a (5.1.1) gear ratio, The first bait caster i purchased i did'nt pay any attention to the gear ratio, and its hard to fish a buzzbait on a 5.1.1 gear ratio. just my .02 cent .Chris

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.