NC Angler Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Red X Angler
3,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Operation North State for any of you who don't know, is a really neat organization that seeks to provide veterans and especially disabled veterans a chance to get out and go fishing. The vets who go on these trips have said many times that they serve a real need to help get these American heroes engaged and outdoors. I did some of these events before I moved to Florida, and I wish we had an organization like this down here. Please consider donating your time - it's fun, all you are really doing is taking someone fishing, but it's rewarding and helpful. Check out http://www.operationnorthstate.com

This is a cut and past from a recent email from Terry Snyder of Operation North State:

Overview:

ONS is lining up some one-on-one fishing for Tuesday, June 15 at Badin Lake and Thursday, June 17 at Lake Norman.

The fishing for both dates will start around 6:30 / 7:00AM and you will come off the water at 1:30. Badin Lake will use the Circle Drive Access Ramp and Lake Norman will use the Pinnacle Access Ramp. These aren’t ONS Fishin’ Festivals; ONS is just lining up 20 Host Boaters at each lake to take some veterans out. I will attend both events and stay in the access ramp areas – I will have snacks and beverages available from my tailgate. We’re looking at having 10-15 pizzas arrive around 1:30 for Lake Norman. And, the Badin Lake Fire Dept. and neighbors in the community will provide a lunch at the Badin Fire Department: BBQ, hamburgers, hotdogs and lots of homemade sides and sweets at 1:45.

Wounded warriors / DVets can’t fish both events; we want to spread the love. They must pick one.
Host Boaters can fish either lake or both.
Wounded warriors / DVets are required to have a valid NC fishing license.
We are asking them to have their own rods & reels and tackle. The Host Boaters will probably need to assist with providing equipment as well.
We request everyone to bring their own snacks. However, ONS will have some snacks and beverages too.
There will not be a weigh-in; and, the boats will be coming off the water around 1:30.
Take pictures!

Let me know if you can lend a hand. The wounded warriors / DVets are so ready to fish these two lakes.

Mega is so needed right now; we have a lot of struggling veterans. We need to get the veterans out of the house; I’m hearing this statement even more so from the veterans respective families.

Reply ASAP.

Thanks!
Terry

Terry Snyder
Founder/Chief Asking Officer/Proud Volunteer
Operation North State
151 Windemere Ct.
Winston-Salem, NC 27127
office: 336.764.5967
cell: 336.406.3459
http://www.operationnorthstate.com

---------------- The need is still great -this was the most recent email: -------------

Hello Potential Host Boaters,

(we really need assistance getting wounded warriors / DVets on the water – pledges to assist are way off)

Regarding the request below from 8-10 days ago, we are still in need in a big way for assistance from Host Boaters to register as Host Boaters for either Badin Lake and Lake Norman. This message is going to anglers all over the state; however, we know the distance is just too far for some of you to travel (plus, you may only coastal fish) but you may have fellow anglers that regularly fish these two lakes. Please share.

All of us are far from being over the dealings related to COVID - 19. Lots of our Host Boaters have current situations: too much work, can’t get off work, don’t have any work, out of work, boat is in the shop, have tournaments and trails to fish. But, if can lend a hand, we would love to see you on June 15 or 17.

We once thought of cancelling these two one-on-one mega events if we don’t get our 20 Host Boaters for both Badin and Lake Norman signed up by June 10; but instead, we will draw names of the 40 veterans we have signed up and put the lucky ones on the boats of the Host Boaters that do register. WE REALLY DON’T WANT TO HAVE TO DRAW NAMES AND TURN VETERANS AWAY. We currently have 6 Host Boaters registered for Badin and 3 registered for Lake Norman.

Note: After our Randleman Lake Top Shelf Fishin’ Festival back in mid-April, the Host Boaters that participated at Randleman were asking for more Fishin’ Festivals for 2021; they wanted to lend a hand on other lakes. They specifically were asking for opportunities to take veterans fishing on Lake Norman, Badin, Jordan and High Rock. Their requests are what really drove us to put together these two mega one-on-one fishing outings at Lake Norman and Badin Lake.

Thanks,

Terry

·
Red X Angler
3,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
I am really hoping at least a couple people can help these vets out. Please consider it.

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
If it was not a 5-6 hr drive from where my boat is, would be helping. Am helping out with fly casting lessons at the June 3rd, Elks Disabled Vets Fishing Program (formerly Project Healing Waters) in Hillsborough.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Being a 78 yr old vet and a life time fisherman, I think this is a great thing for vets. I had to stop fishing several years ago because wife has alzheimers and needs constant attention. I know younger vets can benefit greatly by being able to go fishing (older ones also).

·
Registered
159 Posts
Sounds like a great cause. Email sent, I will try to help out at Norman if they still need another host June 17

·
Registered
159 Posts
Update... They are currently in need of 4 more host boats to meet their goal for both events... June 15 Badin Lake, June 17 Lake Norman.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts