NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Red X Angler
13,664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been undecided whether I would share this, but it is becoming overwhelming for me and I need the prayers of good people...to face this issue with my Mom.
I knew my Mom had been having some health issues for some time now and I knew she had being seeing alot of Drs with inconclusive results. What I didn't know is that she wasn't telling the whole story until last week.
On OCT 1st my Mom is scheduled to have surgery. The type of surgery will be determined by the lymph node biopsy the Dr will perform after she is anesthetized. She has a growing mass in one lung. The Dr says all test have been inconclusive as to WHAT it is but it is growing at an alarming rate. If it is Cancer, he will close the neck incision and she will go into Chemo. If it is not he will open her chest and remove the effected lobe of the lung. Either can be a very big deal!! Mom is 61yrs old, losing weight no matter how/what she eats (she has always been a 120"ish" lb woman) and she is wasting away. She struggles daily to go to work and make it home. I had no idea the pain she has been in because she doesn't open up to anyone often. She has no energy to do anything anymore and this is a woman that loves her yard, her flowers, her garden, her dog,and most of all fishing! She has made it very clear today that she has no intention of suffering and if the Drs can't quickly get this under control she will refuse treatment and wait for her time to come...
I just can't joke my way through this one......., and I don't have faith on my side because that is something I haven't found in my life and am still unsure of. I know she is a good woman, a good mother, and my best friend and I love her very much but I am unprepared for this...
My Dad is 70 and he is as lost in this as I am. They have been married 43 yrs and been through alot of bad times and struggles together... I worry about the added stress on him. He is already stressed and in constant pain from a work injury @ his part time job(or it USED to be) and is awaiting total knee replacement surgery on NOV 13th himself because the repair didn't work and after having an allergic reaction to one of the pain meds and almost dying in the ICU @Wake Med and having to be put in a Coma to stop the seizures until they could flush his blood system. Now he is worried about anesthesia for his surgery as well...
So everyone is stressed out and deeply worried... Please keep us in your prayers, thoughts,meditations, whatever you do to focus your positive energy... We need it and I am grateful for your kindness....
I do believe in a higher power, I just don't know if it is omnipotent or if it comes from within.......and I trust the power of positive thought, so I will try hard to be positive..

·
Registered
156 Posts
Sundrop, Prayers sent and may God bless you and your family !!

Reactions: sundrop

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Sundrop---Sorry to hear that your Mom is experiencing one of the struggles of life. Prayers granted to your Mom, you and your family. Time and experience has taught me that these times are opportune to seek the prayers, comfort, and advice of a minister to help guide you though these times of uncertainty.

·
Premium Member
6,642 Posts
Sundrop,
Sorry to hear about your mom. Parents have a way of keeping things hidden from adult children, probably to try and protect us. But I think it winds up being more like the way many us kept things from them while we were growing up - these things come full circle, at least in my experience.

We'll be praying for her and the doctors, for a complete and accurate diagnosis from the October 1st procedure, for relief from her current symptoms, and for a return to her energetic self. We'll also pray for you and your Dad, as her worried family and caregivers.

Please let us know if there's anything we can help with - prayer-wise, faith-wise or otherwise.

·
Registered
14,639 Posts
Sundrop - I'll be praying for your mom, dad and yourself.

God is all powerful. Its just that His ways are not our ways, so we don't always understand why thing happen the way the do sometimes.

On the faith side of things, If you are convinced you REALLY want to know if there is a God and if so you want him to be revealed to you ask him to reveal himself to you. This is the first and an important step - you must really want to know and be willing to watch and wait. If you are ready, pray "God if you are there, please reveal yourself to me so that I may know you and follow you".

Then be patient, watch and listen. It won't happen that very moment or maybe even that day but God will reveal himself to you if you are really seeking him. His word (the bible) says so. See he seeks us first, he wants us to know Him and trust Him.

God bless you my friend!

·
Registered
196 Posts
Sundrop, I know where you are at. Ive been through the situation you are in, with my mother inlaw. if she needs to go to a place that my wife and I wished we knew about, Duke has a lot of treatment options that are state of the art. In regards to lung CA. Although I hope that she dosent need to go any further than just the lymph node biopsy. Here is a Prayer for you and your mother..........
A Prayer for Health

Almighty God, who has given me a wonderful body to hold my immortal soul, teach me how to live that I may keep it in health. Let me learn the laws that govern my body, that I may not break them. Help me to regulate my appetite and passions, that they may serve you and me, in the building of my body, and not weaken it.
Give me health of mind, that my thoughts may be clean and pure. Make me love your good gifts of fresh air and cool water, and use them for your good, and the good of my body.
Help me to always keep my body fit for your service.
For Jesus' sake.
Amen.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Sundrop my friend, You and your family are certainly in my thoughts and prayers. I have been lucky to never face exactly what you are facing but I can only imagine what you are going through. As others have said, if you need anything, please don't hesitate to ask.

Dave

·
Registered
130 Posts
Sundrop, I have been where you are the great unknown the problem is most people like myself thought that Cancer meant certain death but that is not so God has given so many gifted medical folks the knowledge and equipment to treat this disease. BUT it may not be anything my wife had breast cancer 4 years ago / had surgery / treatments chemo and radiation. She didn't snap back overnight but she gets better everyday and all her reports have been clear and good. And she and I get to go fishing almost every week. I have and will pray that God will help you. There is victory in Jesus knowing Christ as your personal savior will not take all the problems away but it equipts us to be able to handle them better.
preacher Jon

·
Red X Angler
13,664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks everyone for your kind words, prayer, support. You have no idea how this empowers me and gives me the strength to face this head on!!! I am going to Mom and Dad's now to spend time with them and I and my wife will be in Raleigh at Duke of Wake (old Raleigh Community Hospital) Monday for her surgery and there after... Thanks again for being the great group of people you are!!!:D
Brent and Lisa: aka Sundrop and Mrs Sundrop.

·
Registered
2,748 Posts
Drop, takes alot for a person to lean on their brother and whether fishin buds or whatever, so you know, you have brothers here you can lean on. Not everyone may believe the same way, but everyone in one way has a higher power, be it religous, spiritual or a combination of different influence.

This group is like a family and I consider you as family and any family of yours is family to me.

Prayers and thoughts to your mother and to you and your family.

·
Registered
53 Posts
SUN DROP My mother had cancer in her 60's she told me she would give anything to see my little girl of 2 grow up. That little girl is now 21. There is a GOD.I dont know what church he goes to I guess all of them. Just find a church, Any time anywhere, go inside and search your mind and soul. He might find you.

Mom is 85 now We have had hre longer than we were supposed to. A doctor cant cure athlete's feet! THATS MY SIGN !Good luck and keep your head up .

HIP

Reactions: sundrop

·
Registered
664 Posts
Drop, I pray for you, your Mom and Dad. I can tell by your words your love for them runs deep. We all eventually face this one way or the other and prayer and comfort is all one can offer at times like this. I must say that Gods love and my church friends are a great blessing to me as they can be to you also. No where will you find more guidance, love and support than at church.

Jim

·
Registered
101 Posts
Sundrop, you and your entire family will be in our prayers! Do not be afraid to talk about things with someone! It is always good to talk about hat is going on instead of keeping it in. God bless your mother and father and may they both have a speedy recovery!

·
Registered
616 Posts
I am VERY close with my Mom and she pulled this with me once. She was supposed to have surgery and wasn't going to tell me about it. She and I had a very long chat about keeping things from each other. My mother told me that parents don't want to worry their kids with their problems. I think it may be hard to break out of that and realize that your grown up kids can handle whatever news you throw at them.

I'm like you Drop, I don't have much faith on my side, but every good thought I have is headed your way. Good luck and I hope things go well for your Mom.

·
Premium Member
8,127 Posts
Sundrop, I have been out of the country for the past 7 days and just returned. I am sorry to hear all that your family is enduring right now. I will be praying for your mom on Monday. What time is the surgery? If there is anything that we can do please let us know.

I can tell you with personal certainty that God exists, He loves you your family and He cares about what you're going thru. I will be praying for your mom tomorrow.

·
Red X Angler
13,664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well, I'm at Duke/Raleigh now with the family. Nice that they have Internet in the waiting room. Thanks for all of your support!!! I'll keep everyone posted but attitudes are very positive this AM and we have had a good morning so far!

1 - 20 of 78 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.