NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just come across this. It might not mean much to some but to me it is an important way of life for my family and other families on the outer banks. stop by and show your support. you can write congress if you want. Thanks for the help. we only have a couple more days before the court date.

Save Hatteras and Ocracoke Island - Hatteras PleaCast

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Tomorrow is the big day. Call our people and put up a fight. It helps more than u think.
About 500 people were at First Flight High School last night to learn more about the possible Hatteras Island beach closures.This is from south nags head all the way down to hatteras. Just want to be clear.... this isn't just closure to vehicles. You won't be able to walk in on the beach in these areas. The closures are extensive and if it goes through, they will get worse.

Doesn't sound like our Senators or Congressman are doing much. They ask for phone calls now not just faxes and emails

Elizabeth Dole 202-224-6342
Richard Burr 202-224-3154
Walter Jones 202-225-3415

Please call!!! This is so important!!!!

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
I'm glad to see this...thanks! Looks like they could implement a force of Volunteers to patrol and watch for problems rather than try to shut it all down....

·
Registered
17,058 Posts
Saw an add the other day and all it showed about the Outer Banks was a bunch of birds.

I figured that was an ad from the other side.

tight lines <*)))))>{

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The one thing that i dont think these people understand is, if they stop the people from driving on the beach, then no one will be able to walk on the beach either. I dont remember were i seen the map but from Bodie Island to the end of Ocracoke will be closed. I think even Oregon Inlet, if this passes. But its nice to see some people standing up for something.

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
maybe they will have guided Eco-Tours for the birdwatchers in Little electric cars....... LOL!!

·
Registered
17,131 Posts
I have no problem with bird watchers or reasonable conservation efforts. The latter being very important. However there is a careful balance that must be maintained - IMO If the government loses the court case, that balance is going to be seriously out of whack.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hatteras Update:

RALEIGH, N.C. — A federal judge has given environmentalists and national park officials a week to complete a settlement of a lawsuit over off-road vehicles in Cape Hatteras National Seashore.

The lawsuit filed in October argued that existing National Park Service rules didn't protect nesting birds and sea turtles on the Outer Banks.

U.S. District Court Judge Terrence Boyle said Friday, however, that he was ready to order a temporary ban on driving in parts of the seashore. But lawyers for both sides said they were sure they would have the settlement completed in a week.

Boyle also told attorneys that representatives of two counties that intervened in the lawsuit should participate in the negotiations.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I dont know if anyone has heard. but there has been no deal on things about driving on the beaches. they were talking about a small section of beach that would work, but the next morning some how the section changed. There still has been no deal made. I will try to keep you all posted. by the way here is a link for some news on it.

Obsentinel.com

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
WRAL reported on Friday:
Raleigh, N.C. — The parties in a lawsuit over beach driving along Cape Hatteras have agreed in principle to a settlement, lawyers for Defenders of Wildlife announced Friday evening.

So ya say this went south on Saturday?

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
I overlooked his link the first time -- but although the byline has Sunday's date, the text of the story refers to Wednesday and Thursday.

Even so, a proposed agreement still has a long way to go.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well, hopefully they will get this thing figured out before all the tourist start showing up. its getting close to cruch time on the Outer Banks

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.