NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to do a float trip on the haw. Any suggestions for launch sites? I've heard it has some decent moving water? Is it a pretty good largemouth river or are there better rivers around? I'm from va so I not very familiar with the waters in nc. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Red X Angler
3,788 Posts
Tough to get specifics on rivers sometimes, at least on the public forum. You can hear how many and how big the catch was, but locations or related info are often closely guarded. Try making 8 or 10 posts to get to where you can use PM's, and you might have a slightly better chance to get some specifics. If I could help you I would, but I'm afraid I lack the knowledge you seek.

Don't forget the search function, also.

Good luck, hopefully you'll get some feedback!

Reactions: froggy waters

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
I'm looking to do a float trip on the haw. Any suggestions for launch sites? I've heard it has some decent moving water? Is it a pretty good largemouth river or are there better rivers around? I'm from va so I not very familiar with the waters in nc. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Where are you located? I am fair to midland River fisherman I may can help?

Gene - RED >X< - Asheboro

·
Registered
343 Posts
Haw River

Its a good river in areas and the Haw river paddle association has done 0a great job in providing us with canoe/kayak launches.You can find more on the website- there's bass from the upper haw at 87 to Saxaphaw.
I'd go ultra light gear.(nat's dad is also correct)

·
Registered
704 Posts
The guage tells levels not turbidity. The levels can be normal but very muddy.
That's true, but you can get a little bit of a sense by watching trends. If it has been normal/low for several days, it's usually okay. The Haw gauges are tough because of some of the dams that can skew the gauges some.

I look for severity of a rise on the gauges (for rivers in general, not specific to the Haw). Even a short significant rise will result in mud most of the time, because it's the downpours that cause muddy runoff, especially if they produce a significant amount of rain by lasting more than a few minutes.

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
Jim

I was up on the James last week end . Are you familiar with the river from Buena Vista down to Big Island? That is a seriously good looking stretch of river.

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
Very much do want to. It was 2 hours and 20 minutes from my front door. Less for you and Jeff. Mack is outta luck. It's liike seven hours for him. Cold water would be fine. It's prime musky water. Upstream of Buchannan looks good too.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.