NC Angler Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, I am from Alleghany county in the mountains of NC. I have used friends kayaks to fish and participate in other recreational activities. I am currently going to school at Appalachian State and I am interested in purchasing one for myself. I fish lakes and rivers and am wondering if anyone can give me tips on where to find a good kayak at a decent price. Thanks for taking the time to read this and have a bless day.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Outdoor Supply Company in Hickory has lots of kayaks. Great people to deal with and large selection. Also, check out Get Outdoors in Greensboro. They often have factory seconds and many used boats as well. Good website that has their current inventory. These are the two places I would look if buying another kayak. Nice thing about Outdoor Supply is you can demo a kayak in a nearby lake. Personally, I wouldn't buy anything without testing it out on the water.

Dan

Reactions: dbeam

·
Red X Angler
7,806 Posts
My brother and I bought ours at Carolina Mtn Sports in Statesville. Richard will help you with anything he can. I've made several purchases since then from this store. You won't regret getting a yak so hurry up and get one. Everyone has their own budget so shop around until you find something that "floats your boat". Mine was around $600 new and I've never wanted for anything other than this boat has offered me. You can spend as much as you want on one, some are pricey. They all float...good luck

·
Registered
940 Posts
What is your price range? Sounds like a 10 ft would be sufficient for what your are doing. As Dan said, best to test them out first.

Reactions: dbeam

·
Red X Angler
11,227 Posts
Good advice already, lots to consider sit in or sit on? 10 ft or 12 ft? weight limit?
I prefer a sit on for ease of entry and not having to worry about ever getting swamped, but a sit in is lighter, drier, and warmer in the winter. 10 ft is easier handle on the river, but 12 ft will paddle faster, and track better, I think you are better off to stay on the light side of the weight limit by at least 75 lbs.

as said above come down to Hikcory or Statesville and talk with someone, maybe take one out for a spin.
If you had asked a couple for weeks earlier you could have come out to Kerr Scott and tried some of the ones there.

Darrell

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, those are all concepts I am considering right now. Since I am on a college students budget I have narrowed it down to a trophy 126 kayak or a Pelican Matrix 100X Angler Kayak. My only problem is with either one is that the Trophy 126 is rated to 250lbs and the Pelican is rated to 275lbs. Given I weigh between 215-220 I am a little concerned with added gear. Any advice here? Finally I wish I would have put this on here sooner and been able to try it out when you all were down at Kerr Scott. I actually stayed on the campground with you all since one person canceled. We took his spot and fished the next day out of our basstracker. We did not have much luck, how did yall do?

·
Registered
6,021 Posts
Go for the larger capacity.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Yeah, those are all concepts I am considering right now. Since I am on a college students budget I have narrowed it down to a trophy 126 kayak or a Pelican Matrix 100X Angler Kayak. My only problem is with either one is that the Trophy 126 is rated to 250lbs and the Pelican is rated to 275lbs. Given I weigh between 215-220 I am a little concerned with added gear. Any advice here? Finally I wish I would have put this on here sooner and been able to try it out when you all were down at Kerr Scott. I actually stayed on the campground with you all since one person canceled. We took his spot and fished the next day out of our basstracker. We did not have much luck, how did yall do?
The trophy 126 is probably to small for you. I have one,it's pretty tight. I weigh 185.

·
Red X Angler
11,227 Posts
I understand budget, put it off for awhile, look for a used one, but stay at least 75 pounds shy of the weight limit.

Darrell

·
Registered
940 Posts
If you can wait, Dick's will have a boat sale end of May, beginning of June.. and Trophy 126 (a good choice) is the more stable of the 2 you mentioned. Look at perception Swifty 9.5 as well. Even on a budget, make sure the quality is there and get the best you can reasonably afford to suit your needs.

·
Registered
3,624 Posts
The Old Town Vapor is similar to that Pelican and Academy has a good price on it. Academy is also listing a 10' SOT fishing yak for even less. I boat a 10' SIK and if fishing is your sole purpose, it would not be my first choice. Be careful about the capacity ratings. They are a little conservative especially with SIKs as they may get partially swamped. They don't tell you at what point a boat becomes unsteady. Also, about length and speed; there is a calculated hull speed which is the max a boat can go and the longer it is the higher that is. A 10' boat can only be paddled up to around 5 mph. Most of the time we paddle under 4 mph and it can actually take less effort with some small boats (but the more stable it is, the more effort it will take to move it). I would lose a race with many longer boats, but I can keep up with other paddlers on an outing just fine.

Used can be a good option if you find the right boat. I disagree with the sentiment that you should not buy a low end boat if that is all your budget allows. I have a dirt cheap one right now (the 10' Aruba from K Mart - $175 new with the online code you can almost always Google up and shipped to store free) and I go paddling and fishing instead of wishing and waiting. If I decide to move up (I have plans to get an SOT for BTB), I will get my money back out of it or just keep it as a buddy boat or for places where having a 39# boat you can carry easily is a big plus.

·
Registered
3,026 Posts
I have a 12' future beach angler 160 with a depth finder and seat and paddle for $450 if interested call o text me for pics Gary 919_201_7882

1 - 13 of 13 Posts