NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
TL;DR Feel free to scroll to the photo below and help me ID the fish. :cool:

It was a slow Thursday morning, about an hour after low tide. I started working my way from the inlet to the surf, tossing artificials. Had a couple of bumps, and hooked a small flounder on a spoon. The sun finally got above the morning low clouds so decided to put on a chartreuse bucktail. Fooled a little lizard fish, but nothing all the way to the wash at the mouth.

Waded out at the point looking to see if anything will take during the rising tide. Was knee deep when I saw very distincted black tip of a dorsal fin and upper tail swam under my line just a few feet away.

Nope. Didn't want any of that. Slowly backed out of the water. LOL

Pitched the bucktail in the surf a few yards behind that black tip. Almost immediately, thud then the reel sang. Whoohoo!

He took about 50 yards, then the line went slacked. I was bummed. As I was reeling in the slack, I felt pressure, reel sang again.

No head shakes and no sign of a fin, so I was resigned to being dragged by a large stingray. But he's not digging in, instead slowly crisscrossing left and right in the surf still about 30 yards out.

I wasn't sure if the light 3000 setup was going to hold. Although I had 20 lbs flouro leader with 15 lbs braid behind that. Only about 40 yards of it with mono backing the rest.

I cranked, reel sang. Crank, sing. Crank, sing. 10 minutes. Crank, sing.

A couple of guys came up to talk. Crank, sing. I don't think it's a ray. Last one I had dug in by now. Crank, sing.

I mentioned to one of the guys I saw a black tip earlier and he said someone pulled in a shark further down the beach a few days earlier.

Crank, sing. My arm was getting tired. Finally, he showed himself... Holy moly, shark. Looks to be 4-5' but no distinct black tips.

Crank, sing. I've never had anything this big before, and definitely no shark.

Crank, sing. My forearm was really tight. One of the guys hung with me the whole time. We can see him getting tired. Belly up, as I worked him with the waves.

Crank, sing. As soon as I thought he was done, the waves rolled him upright and he ran again. Luckily, there was a sand bar on the other side so he was only crisscrossing.

Crank, crank.. Finally, I think 20-30 minutes, he was tired out (I wouldn't have mind it if he broke me off earlier because my arm was pretty beat).

The one guy helped me beached him for the photo below before I released him. Whoohoo!

So what species do y'all think?

Water Rock fishing Fin Fish Fisherman

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, guys. It was a thrilled because I've never pulled in anything that big, salt or freshwater.

@CBower , I looked up sandbar shark, where he was between the sands made sense. Thanks.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Thanks, guys. It was a thrilled because I've never pulled in anything that big, salt or freshwater.

@CBower , I looked up sandbar shark, where he was between the sands made sense. Thanks.
I've tried using this shark ID guide several times... but it is quite detailed and I have to look up fish anatomy definitions just to answer the questions: Atlantic Shark ID Guide

We catch & release a lot of sandbar sharks around Chincoteague, VA in the summer. They put up a fun fight.

Water Sky Cloud Blue Azure

·
Registered
141 Posts
Judging by the origin of dorsal in relationship to pectoral fin I would say a sandbar shark, Carcharhinus plumbeus. In the case of a dusky the origin of the dorsal begins well behind the trailing edge of pectoral fin. Caught two five footers at Oak Island Wednesday morning at 58th street access.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've tried using this shark ID guide several times... but it is quite detailed and I have to look up fish anatomy definitions just to answer the questions: Atlantic Shark ID Guide

We catch & release a lot of sandbar sharks around Chincoteague, VA in the summer. They put up a fun fight.

View attachment 219625
Whoa, not sure I'm ready to hold one up like that.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Judging by the origin of dorsal in relationship to pectoral fin I would say a sandbar shark, Carcharhinus plumbeus. In the case of a dusky the origin of the dorsal begins well behind the trailing edge of pectoral fin. Caught two five footers at Oak Island Wednesday morning at 58th street access.
Hey, not far from you when I pulled this one in at Sunset Beach this past Thursday.

Two 5-footers? Were you targeting them then?

·
Registered
141 Posts
I see. That tells me if I was going to use live or cut bait, I better have heavier tackle.
Not necessarily lol. I was using a 9’ medium action stick mated to a Penn Spinfisher IV 4500 spooled with 15 pound test mono, 36” of # 30 mono leader and a circle hook. No wire and managed to arm wrestle them into the backwash. Gave my friend the rod and was going to tail grab the first one until it about nailed me in the calf so I cut the leader as close as I dared stick my hands. Second one same deal, got it to the foam and just cut the leader. Not good idea for a 63 year old with crappy knees to get in knee deep water barefoot with an angry shark. 😉

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Not necessarily lol. I was using a 9’ medium action stick mated to a Penn Spinfisher IV 4500 spooled with 15 pound test mono, 36” of # 30 mono leader and a circle hook. No wire and managed to arm wrestle them into the backwash. Gave my friend the rod and was going to tail grab the first one until it about nailed me in the calf so I cut the leader as close as I dared stick my hands. Second one same deal, got it to the foam and just cut the leader. Not good idea for a 63 year old with crappy knees to get in knee deep water barefoot with an angry shark. 😉
Ha, yeah, not a good idea getting in close when he's angry and still energetic. Because of my light gear, mine was tired enough to be unhooked and dragged back out with but a whimper. Being my first, I was a little tentative so didn't go past my ankles. Lol

1 - 13 of 13 Posts