NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK so I'm pretty particular about my bass gear and I'm just beginning to get my big catfish gear sorted out but I've always wanted good salt gear for pier and surf but I don't have a clue so I don't buy anything.

I grew up when everyone had 12 foot fiberglass rods and Penn green spinning reels and 17 or 20 pound mono to throw 4 once sinkers for everything. I know things are more specialized and better now so if I could have three rigs to do everything at the coast from the beach or pier what three rigs would you put together with what line and for what use?

Note
No shark rigs and doubt I would ever have the time to sit all day waiting on a king or at least I would not want gear special just for kings. I mostly would fish spring and fall surf and summer pier on vacation. If there's a way to make something work for behind the beach for reds and trout that my bass tackle would not be good for I want to know that too.

·
Registered
3,441 Posts
Your Zebco 202's and 404's are not gonna wk too good on a pier......they dont have stainless parts

If i only had 1 outfit i would get a Shimano 4500 Baitrunner on an 8-9 ft rod that way it could also be used in the surf....

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
If fishing the surf and pier the coffee grinder is still a great reel, new or used same parts. Go for the 706 and you will have no regrets. The 704 always had a problem with the bail closing & you can't do it manually. After about five outings the bailless will come natural to you.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Outer banks like Portsmouth north? I'm asking because the currents and surf are bigger up there than the Atlantic beach area and south. I like to fish with lighter tackle to not wear me out so bad, but you typically need heavier stuff the further north you go up the coast.

Not trying to make this too complicated, just want to give you the best answer I can

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've only done it three or four times but have always fished around Oregon Inlet ocean side and points south to Hatteras lighthouse area. I think I would go more if I had the right gear and knew better where to try. What I sorta have gathered is people use much shorter and lighter rigs for surf than they did 40 years ago except for big drum at the point. Is that accurate? I'm just not sure how to put together several rigs that would work for most conditions and most fish I'd be targeting.

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I fished the catwalk a couple of times. Very frustrating watching a school of 50 huge fish swimming below and not being able to get a bite. Not even sure what they were.

Reactions: RouseD

·
Registered
5,497 Posts
They were huge trout we used to fish for them at nite with lights. Couldnt even close the cooler lid :)

Reactions: RouseD

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have an 8 ft. Tica / Penn Battle 4000 combo that I use in the surf on a regular basis. I can use it all day in the surf with lures or bottom rigs, and it's not so big that I mind taking it to the pier for bottom fishing either. The rod is medium heavy, rated from 1 to 3 oz, and can handle most anything you'd encounter on the Southern Outer Banks. Right now, I run 12 lbs mono, but have also used heavier braid. If I only had one set-up, this one would be it. I use it about 90 percent of the time.

When the surf gets bigger, I have a medium heavy 9 ft. Tsunami/ Penn Battle 5000 combo that can handle heavier weight up to 5 oz. I think I have 15 lbs mono on that.

For the pier only, I would recommend a inshore 7 ft rod rated for 1/2 oz to 1 1/2 oz that'd do well with Gotcha plugs and 1/2 oz spoons. A reel size 3000 or 4000 would take care of this. 10lbs mono. I currently don't have a set up for this right now as I spend most of my time on the beach. This set-up could also be used for speckled trout and reds in the fall from inshore, surf, or pier.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
Question for all you surf fishing experts: Would it be a futile effort to take my 7-1/2 foot rods out to try surf fishing with them? I know I won't be able to cast as far as a surf rod so would it just be a waste of time? Just can't put the money into a whole new surf setup at the moment.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.