NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a minn kota power drive 12v with auto pilot feature

I decided to try Harris Monday. When I got to my spot, I lowered the trolling motor and turned on my power switch from the battery.

The steering box immediately started turning to the right and would not stop until I killed the power supply. I disconnect the foot pedal and turned the power back on. Still turning to the right.
after I got home, I pulled the housing off and unhooked the leads from the main board to the steering assembly.
I then turned the power back on. The trolling motor works perfect but as soon as I reconnect the wires to the steering box,it starts turning to the right again.

My thoughts were,there's a relay hung in the main board. So, I ordered I new board. Put it on today and as soon as I connect the power it started turning to the right! (does not matter if the foot pedal is connected,it doesn't respond ).

Does anyone have an idea what the problem could be?
Thanks

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's an older trolling motor.I bought it with my boat used.
I've used it 5-6 times now it's acting up. The guy I purchased it from said it's searching for the center point on the shaft. I don't believe that's the issue. It keeps spinning to the point that it binds up the cords around the motor.

·
Registered
591 Posts
I had that same problem once and had to change out the electronic compass controller board. It's an easy fix. That controller board is also sensitive to low voltage so check that first.

·
Red X Angler
3,788 Posts
I was going to suggest that it could be the foot pedal contact hanging, but not sure it sounds like it's the pedal. I have had to replace my pedal twice now on my Minn Kota Power Drive V2. Mine would hang up and when I pushed to the right, it would simply keep turning and not stop till I manually pushed it the other way. Eventually it just stopped turning to the right altogether. The second one, the heel button that turns the power on and off to the motor stopped working. I'm on my third pedal in 4 years of use. Bought this particular motor because the footprint of the mount plate was small enough to fit on my Sea Pro without blocking the use of the front anchor well; had I to do over I'm not sure I would buy another one because apparently the pedals are not at all durable with regular use from what I have read and experienced.

Wish I could help more.... if you think it might be the pedal, could be worth trying a replacement. I think I paid $90 for the replacement pedal on the first one. The second one just a year later, I called Minn Kota and explained they had an opportunity to retain or lose a lifetime customer, and they replaced the pedal for me.

·
Registered
876 Posts
Minn Kota is usually very helpful when I have contacted them in past. Also, Google the #1 trolling motor experts. I was trying to post the link but I couldn't post it. Anyway, those guys are great for any t-motor, charger or other advice needed and are very knowledgable. Good luck.

·
Registered
27 Posts
It's an older trolling motor.I bought it with my boat used.
I've used it 5-6 times now it's acting up. The guy I purchased it from said it's searching for the center point on the shaft. I don't believe that's the issue. It keeps spinning to the point that it binds up the cords around the motor.
Check this man out . He'll help you and is very good at what he does.

BBC Sponsor http://www.jonestrollingmotor.com (870) 773-3474
Mon - Thrs 8am - 5pm Friday 8am -12pm Central time

·
Red X Angler
3,788 Posts
I got sick of the problems I experienced with electric steer motors an went back to the ol foot control. ain't had any problems in many yrs. my foot never goes crazy...
I agree with you on that one. If I could find one with a mount plate footprint that would fit my deck I'd go back to the pneumatic foot control as opposed to the electric steer.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
So, I called minn kota.they said it sounds like a continuity ussue. I then pulled the cover off the head of the trolling motor. The ground wire had burnt through the insulation and was making contact with the control board for the auto pilot. After removing the burnt section and re attaching the ground wire,I now have power to my trolling motor but the steering won't respond at all. I believe it has burnt up the control board for the compass. Idk if I should continue to sink money into this trolling motor or buy a new one.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.