NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,195 Posts
Welcome to NCangler.com Michael. I think we've got at least a couple of Raeford folks on the board already so maybe one of them can make some suggestions on freshwater in that area. Saltwater opens up a whole coastline of possibilties. There are a number of species available in June, not the least of which is Cobia. Pick a species and an area and someone will be glad to offer some information I'm sure. ;)

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
June is wide open day or night fresh or salt. You need to be a little more specific. IF you don't mind mosquito's and snakes, a canoe trip down Lumber River isn't a bad option. Plenty of good inshore and offshore fishing to be done. The problem is not availability of options, it is the abundance of options.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Amen to that, Sinker Man! Welcome Serioussportsman. That is the issue I have today.:rolleyes: Go to the MTs. and fly fish, go to the coast and fly fish, go to the river for possible shad or even rock on the fly. So many choices, so many fish, so little time. It's enough to drive a man to drink.:( Pick a species, pick a type of tackle, pick a spot and then, as they say, "Just do it!" There is nothing but fun and fish in all the choices. But, you can't do them all in just a couple of days.;) Good Luck and Welcome on board.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks all for your quick reply's !

I guess I'll be packing my gear then.:D

Guess I have some research to do. I was thinking off one of the piers, and one of the canoe trips. (finances,Tackle,etc.):confused: Like ya'll was saying so many oppertunities and so little time.(1 week:( ) Thanks again serioussportsman
Life member N.A.F.C.

·
Registered
17,131 Posts
Hi Serioussportsmann - Welcome to NC Angler.

If you want to do some pier fishing and canoe/kayaking - I'd recommend Surf City, NC on Topsail Island. They sport a great ocean pier (three total on the island), a free sound/waterway pier and a great tackle/kayak rental shop - Herrings Outdoor Sports

It's very much a family freindly beach and area.

Where ever you end up, make sure you let us know how the fishing goes!

Tight lines!
Mike

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
Raeford is right down 401 from Fayetteville. Lots of different areas to go from there. There's the Cape Fear for big Cats, or lots of smaller ponds/lakes in the area for anything you want. Also if you are going to have a small boat there is lake rim off Raeford Road. Let us know how far you want to go to do the fishing. You will have a little bit of a drive to go from Raeford to the coast. Are you going to spend the night at the destination or are you going to drive back everyday? How many days do you want to fish? Let us know so we can help in the best way.

Reactions: serioussportsman

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
Now if you have a whole week a kayak and a 4wd camper a trip to Portsmouth Island or Cape Lookout would be MY top two choices for the 1st week in June.You would have a lot of research an planning to do for those 2 locations. They are national seashore islands with car ferry access and rental cabins.You bring everything with you. For 2 days and just minimal equipment and less travel a blackwater river float trip or a couple of days pier fishing. If the pier fishing is too slow you have the kayak rental option. The weather should be pretty cooperative that time of yr.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I don't have a boat boat, Just my fresh water gear. Thinking stripers or tarpon. Not even sure thats strong enough(even though I've caught 30lb salmon on 6lb test)
Unless of course someone down there would offer a trip thats not too far out of my budget....lol Just a passing thaught.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.