NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Taking the family down for an afternoon charter this Saturday the 12th out of Oriental for old drum (first trip, so pumped!). We are taking our 14' alum vhull/25hp Sea Pro Merc Friday morning through Sunday too. We are staying on Dawson Creek and using the Wildlife put in there, so will be fishing Dawson by boat and dock, and also the river by boat and dock at the mouth to Dawson.

We've always had solid tips from members so asking again gang:
Tackle we have already: jig heads, 4" DOA style swim baits, popping corks, etc. for the old drums, gulp shrimp on jig heads for everything else that will bite. 20 gallon pro bait tank on board, and I have caught a ton of menhaden in a 6ft cast net if I get anywhere near 'em. Micro bubbler aerator on timer, I keep bait alive all day and put back the few we don't use, still healthy. No problem holding bait when we get it.

- I've read that specks are in Dawson Creek, what tips for tackle, location and technique would you old salts recommend? We have never boated a speckled trout, wanna check that one off if we can.

-If the river is flat enough, I've read look for the shoals, and then bait balls or finning near the shoals for active drum.

-I also have some drum size top waters for early and late, any chance a striper may be around?

As always, thanks in advance for any and all tips and advice for a great trip guys.

Tight lines,

Lunker Bandit

·
Banned
2,564 Posts
I think everything you have read is sound advice and from what you have typed up will work out perfectly.

Don't be surprised when you are trout fishing if you hook up with an old goldfish.

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
don't worry if your menhaden die, fillet one side turn that over and hook through the whole fish. Puts alot of scent in the water that way. Beat the banks and structure, docks etc with jigs and popping corks etc. Dotn be afraid to toss a small menhaden or mullet on a Carolina rig around those docks and structure too. You might nail a doormat flounder or citation trout!

·
Registered
17,058 Posts
Ton of bait from the ramp area to the bridge at Dawson Creek. Menhaden/finger mullet and shrimp mixed in for bait or eating. You may catch a striper but if you want one of them to head down towards Goose, Broad Creeks or the main river in that area with a topwater Zara Spook style of bait.

You can go out the mouth of Dawson Creek, ease past the red nun can to the 8 to 12 foot line, anchor up, cast bait on the bottom and catch bull reds...hint hint.

You will learn a ton of information on Saturday morning chasing bull reds. Thing is to remember it, why are the fish where you went, bait pods, ledges, what is putting them in that location or locations. Mimic those actions closer to Dawson Creek that you learned. The fish are there, just have to put a plan together to find and catch them.

If I was going to catch a speck in Dawson, I would cast a topwater plug, Zara Spook Jr in Chartruese or your favorite color and or a 17MR in white, 808 or MG (madi gras). Load of bait has been moving in so with that, other fish follow suit. I know there are some small specks in Dawson. Maybe some bigger ones have moved in. Also some puppy drum in the creek. May add a popping cork with a live shrimp or a artificial shrimp.

Good luck

1 - 8 of 8 Posts