NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I just got my hands on an old 14 foot jon boat that still floats and is in solid condition. Unfortunately I do not know much more than that. What I would like some information on is what you guys (from prior experience) know about how much these boats can hold, how big a motor they can handle, and any other misc. information yall may know about. Thanks for any help in advance.

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
This may help you

AK McCallum's deals with john boat stuff daily, they're in Fayetteville, but drop them a call and I'm sure they can answer any question you have from motor size to registration, etc...

Here's the AK's link: AK McCallum Co. - Boats

You should have a USCG data plate somewhere on the boat that states motor size/horse power rating and passenger/gear capacity.

On my 12 ft Coleman crawdad, it was riveted in the back of the boat, on the inside at the rear right and near the HID (hull idendification #)

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
If it doesnt have a tag measure the height of the sides and the width of the boat at its widest part (the "beam") and the height of the transom. A good dealer like AKs can give you a load rating based on this. I know I see plenty of them with 2 grown avg sized adults, cooler,battery,fishing gear, trolling motor and a 5-15 hp engine running around all the time.

Reactions: crappie89
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.