NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alrighty guys, here's the deal. Im a 19 year old college student on a BUDGET! I love fishing and I am in fact the events coordinator at the UNC fishing club.

It would be ridiculous for me to even consider getting a boat so I am now looking at a canoe or a kayak. I am preferably looking for a 2 person canoe so I can always take a buddy/girlfriend out fishing with me.

I will mostly be fishing NC lakes and rivers. I would love to go out to lake Jordan, Haw River, New River and other local waterways.

Basically I am looking for you guys to help me figure out what is best for me to get at this point.

I'm not looking for something to go white water rafting in. I just need something CHEAP, durable, transportable that will allow me to fish comfortably with two people. Thanks for your help guys!

·
Registered
852 Posts
Re: HELP!!! What to get!

Keep your eyes on the boat section of craigslist, every so often they have a nice looking canoe listed that might be doable, and a fair number of smaller jon boats as well. Not sure what you consider cheap, have not seen too many fishing kayaks show up used, and the new ones vary from about $500 for some cheaper sit on tops to well over $1200 for fancy ones.

I just bought a Native Ultimate 12 for $871 with paddle, anchor trolley, and three rod holders over at Paddle Creek in Raliegh. Native makes a two man 14.5' version and a 16' version of this boat for as well. They also stock several other nice looking fishing kayak brands.

There is also a store in Goldsboro selling all their rental kayaks this weekend.

Anyway, for Cheap and Comfortable for 2 people, you are probably looking at a smaller jon boat with electric or small gasoline power (12'-14' long, 36" to 48" wide). Problem is they get heavy (as does the trolling motor battery) after about 12' long, which could limit the transportable factor.

·
Registered
4,810 Posts

Sounds to me like a road trip to Greensboro would be a great idea for you. Head up there, check out their used inventory, but most of all, talk to 'em and look at the boats.

The Ultimate is getting a lot of good press these days, but being a brand new model, probably the only place to find a used one will be an outfitter turning over his rental inventory. And they'll be in high demand no matter where you go.

You'll be able to find more canoes than kayaks, and probably cheaper. A canoe usually has higher "freeboard" -- vertical surface area above the waterline -- so it usually will get blown around by the wind more easily than a yak. But it'll still get you on the water.

Make sure you get a PFD that's designed for paddling. A water-skiing PFD is not designed to allow the freedom of arm movement you'll need for paddling.

Oh yeah -- one other recommendation I make often -- spend enough time doing research (like this thread) to identify a short list of "good enough" boats, but don't get stuck trying to find "the best". If you stick with it, this will not be your last boat purchase, so it's OK to settle for "good enough". Getting that first boat will also help you to learn what's important to you in a boat and what you want to choose differently next time.

Unfortunately, heading into cooler weather, you're also going to have to worry about cold water, or wait for springtime... Always expect to take a swim... but on the other hand, that makes this a good time of year to shop!

Good luck
Lefty

·
Registered
17,131 Posts

When I was younger and spent some time at Chapel Hill, I had a canoe and used it on the Eno, Jordan, Cape Fear and other bodies of water. I could slap it on top of the car and off I went. I used it to fish but also did some camping trips and just plain relaxing times too. Canoes are very versatile - especially given your desire to take some with you - I'd look in a canoe.

GO HEELS!

·
Premium Member
7,911 Posts

Now is a good time to be looking. The paddle shops with rental fleets will be having their fall clearance sales. Good way to get a used boat at a good price. GetOutdoors in Greensboro had/has their sale this weekend. They seem to keep their stock out until it sells, so if you can't get there for the advertised sale time frame you can probably still find something later. I haven't heard when Paddle Creek in North Raleigh is holding their fall sale - should be soon.

·
Registered
2,766 Posts

If you are on a tight budget patience is your friend. Check into building something suitable. (Nothing fancy. Keep it simple.) Otherwise a canoe or a gehnoe/riverhawk type or johnboat when something comes along.

·
Registered
608 Posts

Some very good information. I have a Mad River Adventure 14 but it has Wolfpack decals all over it so you probably dont want to buy that one!

One thing to remember, when buying something for "two", you will not always be able to get that second person to go along. So make sure if you buy something, you can use it and manage it solo as well.

The Mad River Adventure 14 is a roto molded poly canoe, made out of the same material as a kayak. It is a little less expensive than other canoes but it is also a little heavier.

If you are in to sit inside style kayaks, the tandem Pamlico from Wilderness Systems allows you to move the front seat back far enough to paddle it solo. Several companies make solo plus canoes, where two people can go also. Being budget minded, look for deals on used boats either from private sellers or demos/rental fleets like the sale up in Greensboro.

Good luck in your search.

·
Premium Member
8,195 Posts

Gotarheelz14. Welcome to NCangler.com. I wanted to extend an invitation to the UNC Fishing Club to have your own forum here on the website. The Bass Pack at NCSU started our first NC Collegiate Angler forum. Let me know if you'd like me to create a forum for the UNC fishing team and what to call it. Also if you go to the UserCP link above then scan down to the lower left corner of the page you'll see the Group Memberships link. Click on that and you can choose the "NC Collegiate Angler" member title. :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Paddle Creek in North Raleigh is selling off their rental/demo fleet of kayaks next weekend (10/27-28). I was there today checking out their inventory and saw a couple tandem kayaks (sit on top) and at least one of the Mad River canoe/kayak hybrids. They say the prices will be 20-30% off retail. Good luck.

S.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all the info guys!

I followed your advice and went down to outdoor sports in greensboro which is actually where I live. I saw one of the Mad River canoes like some of you mentioned and it really caught my eye. They had them listed at 350 dollars!!!

I thought this was a pretty reasonable price. The sale was officially over but all their inventory was still out there. I am back at Carolina but I am considering sending someone there to buy it for me.

Can you guys give me a little bit more info on the Mad River 14 Canoe/kayak?

My girlfriend and I sat inside the canoe and we both fit in there perfectly well. I calculated that I probably had enough room to bring all my fishing equipment and two big coolers. For those of you that have some experience what can you tell me about the Mad River 14???

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
I've got a buddy with an Adventure 16. He's a big guy, his sons are not. Tony enjoys his very much. I don't know how much he fishes versus just paddling. (His is red too, hee hee hee...) I've only been paddle-fishing with him once. I'll have to see if I can get him to log in and chime in.

·
Registered
608 Posts
I have the Adventure 14. It was a Christmas present last year for my daughters. My wife and I, plus both kids are able to take it out and have an enjoyable day on the water. It is rather heavy compared to others, but that is because it is made from plastic....not kevlar or other next gen type of materials.

It does seem a little tippy, compared to my kayaks. I had considered getting the Wilderness Tarpon 130 (tandem kayak) but I liked the idea of having a canoe. It paddles nice. I can paddle it solo but I have to sit in the middle seat. If I sit in the back the bow is so far out of the water I cannot see. So it is managable for one person, but not ideal. My wife and I both used kayak paddles which made it very easy to maneuver the canoe. I can paddle from the back with both kids it in as well, but with only one (they are less than 50 lbs in weight) the bow road high.

You could easily fit a cooler, not sure about two....unless you go with the 16. Using a milk crate for carrying fishing gear, retro fitted with rod holders makes it a pretty good fishing kayak. It does have built in rod holders, that are adequate but not great. They could have done a better job on those, imo. The built in drink holders work well.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
hmmm great insight thank you very much.

So would you guys recommend the Adventure 14 series or shoudl I be looking somewhere else? I particularly like the idea of being able to paddle solo at times so please keep that in mind if you make a recommendation

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
When I was in scouts (20 years ago), we would occasionally paddle 16' canoes solo by turning 'em around backward and kneeling against the midships thwart, to put your center of gravity just aft of center.

From what I can tell, canoes come as short as 13' or so... you should have lots of choices...

·
Registered
608 Posts
If it were me, and I knew that I would be going solo, I dont think the Adventure 14 would be at the top of the list. The center molded seat does not have the back rest or cushion of the front and rear seats. Long paddles would be tedious and loading/unloading a bear (unless you have a truck with a bed, or a trailer). It is affordable, especially that deal you found. However, if there will be times you are going solo, it will not be the best choice for that.

For solo paddling in a boat built for two...you would have better luck in either the Tarpon 130t or the Pamlico from Wilderness, imo. Not sure about the Natives and the seats, but that would be another interesting option although they might be out of your price range. I can only comment on the boats I actually have looked at in the past. The other option, and one that many have learned after trial and error on tandems, buy two solo kayaks.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
The important thing is just to get one and get out. I am still using a 2 person SOT that I bought 10 years ago, without any idea of fishing from it. You will probably not buy what you want to be paddling 2 years from now, so look for value, stability and space for your gear. Customizing is relatively inexpensive.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have a MadRiver Adventure 14. It rides nice and I like it. Only thing, as mentioned above, it is HEAVY. Paid $400 for canoe and paddles. It is what the seller was aking. I wasn't in the mood to negotiate for a lower price, but he probably would have taken less.

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
That's what I like about this site. People always want to help someone else out.

On a side note though, just send a PM. No one would see your contact info and be able to think about calling ya. It's a safe bet that way.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.