NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Where are the decent sized panfish located? Im in fayetteville nc not far from jordan, kerr, sharron, etc but would rather stay local an fish thru this area in small ponds or lakes! I've fished the fort bragg area already as well but only at mckellars an wyatt and it just seems the panfish bite is slow although when I do catch them they are keepers.

·
Red X Angler
3,799 Posts
It's not "fed" by saltwater, but it empties into the ocean, so the lowest part of it (and almost any river that empties to the sea) will be salty. The salinity will decrease as you go upstream, from salt to brackish (mix of fresh and salt) to fresh. Where that transition occurs depends on factors like tides, flow coming from upstream, etc. I don't know the area well enough to know where the transition occurs in this particular case, but you will often find a mix of saltwater and freshwater species in the brackish areas. I have caught largemouth bass and speckled trout in the same spot on the same lure 5 minutes apart in the Escambia River in Florida. I have seen flounder and bass caught same way depending on where it was.

Reactions: lovefishin

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well I'm going Friday out to the lock an dam which I heard has a new pier to fish from. I do believe it's part of the cape fear just in a different county than Cumberland. I don't think the fishing In the cape fear in the Cumberland county area is that great! I have fished there only a handful of times with little luck. However, I'm hearing the fishing is really good out in bladen county!! I'll be checking out lock an dam #2 this weekend.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.